Into the woods

Adira gasped desperately for breath as she struggled against the bat that had its tail wrapped firmly around the delicate skin of her pale neck. Her nails dug into the slimy, cold flesh of the bat, piercing it as she attempted to free herself from its grasp. 

Small grunts of pain fell from her chapped lips as her eyes drifted between the bats, her friends and her brother. Her vision was foggy and only getting more difficult to see as she flashed in and out of consciousness, blood pooling under her body as her wounds leaked profusely, her body being drained and her lungs struggling to find any oxygen.

"St-Steve," she managed to choke out, wanting nothing more than to help him. She prayed that his condition wasn't as bad as hers, but she couldn't be too sure. What if this is the end? Am I going to die here?

She tried to brush away her fears, she wasn't going to get out of this if she just let her fears take control. She needed to calm down and think rationally, think of a way that she could get herself out of this predicament. Think Adira think.

*Flash back*

"Here you go sweetheart," Billy said as he reached his hand out towards her, something shiny in his hand seemed to catch her attention as she looked up at him in confusion. "If I'm ever not there to protect you, I want you to be able to protect yourself," he explained her.

She put the blood covered gauze down and reached out to his hand slowly, he placed the object in her hand. She flinched slightly as the cool metal came in contact with her warm skin, she looked down at it and felt her eyes widen slightly in shock, "your butterfly knife?" she asked unsurely

Billy nodded his head softly and wrapped his arms around the girls waist and pulled himself closer to her. She was sitting up on the counter of her kitchen top and he was standing between her legs, a small smile on his face as he pressed a soft kiss to her forehead. "I'll teach to tricks and shit, besides, you know I have other ones," Billy said

"Yeah but this is your favourite one B, this is the one that your mum got for you," Adira muttered out to him softly, reaching up with her free hand and cupping his cheek. Billy leaned into her hand and gave her a small shrug

"Yeah and now it's the one that I gave to you," Billy replied and Adira threw her arms around the boy, pulling him closer and burying her head into his neck, "I don't think you will ever need to use it because I'm always going to be there to protect you, but if worse comes to worst and for some reason, I'm not there, you can defend yourself okay?"

*End Of flashback*

Adira loosened one of her hands from the tail around her neck and stumbled slightly as she reached down to the back pocket of her jeans, small cries falling from her mouth as she found her movements more and more difficult, the grip around her neck tightening substantially. Finally, she reached into her back pocket and felt around before finally feeling the familiar cool metal stinging against her pale and calloused fingertips.

She pulled out her butterfly knife, flipping it around once as fast as she could before reaching up and stabbing the tail that was airborne and above her head. She let out a small inaudible sigh of relief as she felt the grip around her neck falter slightly, she pulled the blade out and stabbed into it a few more times before it finally let go of her neck and tried to fly off before getting smacked to the ground and stabbed by Eddie. 

She wanted to crawl up into a ball and cry as she breathed heavily, allowing oxygen to flow back into her lung freely, but now wasn't the time for that. Her fingers danced over the skin of her neck for a few short moments before her eyes landed on her brother's struggling figure.