xxxii. the dive

After the events of the previous day, the dynamics among the group were shifting, particularly between Max and Cassidy

After the events of the previous day, the dynamics among the group were shifting, particularly between Max and Cassidy. Max's sudden niceness caught Cassidy off guard, creating an air of confusion. With the news circulating about Eddie supposedly murdering people, the group, aware of the real situation, had to adjust their plans to help him. Now, on the way to Skull Rock, they walked in pairs: Dustin and Steve, Robin and Nancy, Theodore and Lucas, and Cassidy and Max.

Max expressed frustration about the changing directions, but Cassidy seemed distracted. "Hey. You okay?" Max asked softly, trying to bridge the gap. However, Cassidy responded coldly, "I'm fine," leaving an uncomfortable silence hanging between them. Max, sensing the tension, bit her lip nervously, unsure of how to navigate the complexities that had surfaced among the group.

Max observed Lucas and Theodore bonding, a soft smile playing on her lips. "Well, looks like Lucas and Theodore are definitely friends now," she chuckled lightly. Cassidy, catching the implication in Max's words, rolled her eyes, recognizing the teasing undertone.

"Well, stop thinking about shipping them. Theo and Will are back together," Cassidy snapped at Max, the words carrying a sharp edge. Max, taken aback, responded with a hesitant, "Okay," attempting to navigate the sudden hostility. The red-headed girl abruptly stopped in her tracks, and Cassidy scoffed, mirroring the halt in movement.

"What's wrong now, princess?" Cassidy smirked maliciously, her tone dripping with sarcasm. Max, wearing a confused expression, questioned her, to which Cassidy replied with another taunting remark. "This isn't you, Cassidy. It's like... when Vecna took over you for a minute, you turned cold and mean," Max observed, expressing her concern about the noticeable shift in Cassidy's demeanor.

Cassidy scoffed, attempting to walk away, but Max gently grabbed her arm. "Cassidy, please. I'm sorry I— I pushed you away. I'm sorry I wasn't there for you when you were trying to," Max pleaded, a sincere apology in her words as she sought to mend the growing rift between them.

Cassidy shook her head lightly, dismissing Max's apology. "Well, it's sorta your fault," she snapped, the words carrying a harsh edge. She glared at Max and yanked her arm out of Max's grip, choosing to distance herself by shadow leaping away. Max's eyes welled up with tears, recognizing the pain behind Cassidy's harsh words. Theodore and Lucas exchanged a sad look, sensing the deepening divide within their group.

Cassidy shadow jumped to Steve and Dustin, who reacted with fearful squeals. "Nerds," she muttered with an eye roll, adding a touch of bitterness to her departure. The atmosphere among the group grew heavier, weighed down by unresolved emotions and fractured connections.

They soon found Skull Rock. "Haha! Found it! In your face, Henderson!" Steve snarked, reveling in the victory. Cassidy rolled her eyes at his comment. "Doesn't make sense," Dustin muttered, expressing confusion. Frustrated, Cassidy sighed and moved near a rock. "Yeah, yeah. Even with it staring you in the face, you can't admit it. Can't admit you're wrong, you butthead," she retorted, a hint of annoyance evident in her response.