Prologue

STEVE'S POV

We got to the upside-down through Eddie's trailer once again. If Val were here, I'm positive she'd love the place somehow. We got to the outside seeing the upside Hawkins as we left it. Mostly in ruins, certainly not our Hawkins.

"We'll survive this, right?" Robin asked looking at the group

"Definitely" I answered, although I wasn't sure but I wanted to look brave in front of everyone. Eddie was giving me a comforting smile, it was like he was the only one to see through me. Out of impulse, I pulled everyone into a big hug. It only lasted a couple of seconds, but those seconds gave me peace. We slowly gave each other space, I was ready to walk towards Vecna with Robin and Nancy but Eddie pulled me for a kiss. For an instant, he made me forget my problems.

"There's a child present," Robin said while pointing at Dustin.

Dustin shook his head and Nancy simply chuckled at her comment.

I flipped her off while not breaking the kiss I had with Eddie. He finally broke the kiss, gasping for air. His kiss made me change the original plans we had. "Fuck it" I mumbled under my breath. I turned to face Nancy and Robin. "Guys, I'm going with them," I said as I was pointing to Eddie and Dustin.

Dustin looked relieved, Eddie not so much.

"That was not part of the plan Steve" Nancy added

"Yeah, dufus,"

I gave a death stare to Robin. She knows I hate when she calls me that. "You both are capable of killing that son of a bitch without my help, or do you seriously need a man for the job?"

They scoffed

"I just wanna be with Eddie"

Robin gave me a look. That look when she deciphers something. She knew I was hiding something. I can't hide things from my boyfriend or my bestfriend. She hummed

"What" I scoffed

"That's not it, Steve"

I rolled my eyes

"Steve"

"Okay fine, I just have a bad feeling about Eddie. We lost Val, I'm not losing Eddie, so forgive me if I want to protect him, dammit"

Eddie grabbed my arm and turned me around to face him. "Go with them, I don't need protection"

"What if you die?" I asked hesitantly

"So I die, no big deal. You keep living, taking care of the little sheeps. Val and me will be your guardian angels"

I clenched my jaw hearing his response and pushed him. I was glaring at him, his words were breaking my heart. "Don't joke about that"

He chuckled

"I'm serious Eddie."

"So am I"

"I won't lose you. I already thought you died once, I'm not going to experience that AGAIN"

Nancy and Robin exchanged looks and then they nodded. They agreed with me. Nancy continued to look at me and said "fine, but all three of you better come back alive when we meet here again."

Eddie, Dustin and I nodded. If only we knew, she was going to be wrong. From all three of us, only one from the rest was definitely coming back. We stayed here, while they took off to kill Vecna.

"Robin, wait" Eddie spoke up

She stopped and turned to face us. "Yeah?"

"Make him pay"