chapter four - dr. d

Maddie, Bill, Eddie, Richie, and Stan rode their bikes through the woods back into town, with Ben riding on the back of Maddie's bike

Maddie, Bill, Eddie, Richie, and Stan rode their bikes through the woods back into town, with Ben riding on the back of Maddie's bike. He had his arms around her waist, even though he was in pain. As they come out of the woods and into town, Eddie kept talking, "I think it's great that we're helping the new kid, but we also need to think of our own safety. I mean, he's bleeding all over and you guys do know that there's an AIDS epidemic happening right now as we speak, right? My mom's friend in New York City got it by touching a dirty pole on the subway. And a drop of AIDS blood got into his system through a hangnail. A hangnail!"

"Eddie! Shut up!" Maddie said. They biked into an alley as Eddie continued, "And you can amputate legs and arms. But how do you amputate a wa-- How do you amputate a waist?" When they stopped, Bill helped Ben get off of Maddie's bike and helped him get seated on a wooden box. Maddie got of her bike after.

Richie set his bike down after as Eddie said, "You guys do know that alleys are known for dirty needles that have AIDS, right? You guys do know that? Hey..." "Oh my god! Shut up!" Maddie said to Eddie due to worrying more about Ben. "Come on, let's go get the stuff to help him." Maddie told them and she started heading to the pharmacy for medical supplies, by running.

"Richie, wait here. Come on!" Bill said he, Eddie, and Stan ran off to catch up to Maddie. "Maddie! Wait up!" Stan yelled and Richie stayed with Ben to keep him company. "Glad I got to meet you before you died." Ben looked at Richie blankly.

In the pharmacy, Maddie grabbed several items from the shelf for Ben's wounds due to knowing how to help him. She had always wanted to be a doctor, Maddie has already been learning the things about being a doctor and even she knew how to do stitches and so much more.

"Can we afford all that?" Bill asked his sister. Stanley was holding a few dollar bills. "That's all we got." Stan said and Maddie said, "Are you kidding me? We need all of this stuff to help Ben." "Wait, you have an account here, don't you?" Bill asked Eddie.

"If my mom finds out I bought all this stuff for myself... I'm spending the whole rest of the weekend in the emergency room getting X-rayed." Eddie said to them, making them think about what to do. In another aisle, Beverly was buying some Tampax. She grabbed some and then walked out of the aisle and is about to go to the counter to pay for it, when she saw Greta Keene coming her way.

"See you later, Dad." "See you, Greta." Beverly quickly went to the next aisle to avoid a round of harassment from Greta. She ran into Maddie and the others. She hid the Tampax behind her back as Maddie, Bill, Stan and Eddie glanced at her. "You okay?" Maddie asked.

Beverly said to him as Gretta walked out of the pharmacy behind her, "I'm fine. What's wrong with you?" "None of your business." Stan told her but Eddie immediately told her, "There's a kid outside. Looked like someone killed him." "We need some supplies, but we don't have enough money." Bill told her.

Beverly looked at them for a second, then glanced at the counter, looking as though she just came up with an idea. "I like your glasses, Mr. Keene. You look just like Clark Kent." He chuckled at Beverly's comment. "Oh. I don't know about that." "Can I try them?" Beverly asked and he said to her, "Mmm. Sure." He took his glasses off and gave them to Beverly. She chuckled and put them on.