Chapter 20

JENNIE

When the elevator doors open on the penthouse level, Taehyung's standing there waiting for me, shirtless and barefoot, wearing only a pair of black boxer briefs.

The bastard.

"I want you to take me home now."

"So you've said."

He closes the few steps between us with his long stride and picks me up.

As he's turning around to head out, I snap, "I'm perfectly able to walk."

"Aye, but it's my privilege to carry you."

I glare at his profile, furious that he could be so calm and courtly at a time like this.

"Go ahead and pick a fight," he says. "I like it when you quarrel with me."

"Only because you're bored with everyone else kissing your ass."

"I admit it gets tedious."

"If you're taking me back to your bedroom, don't bother. I'm not sleeping with you."

"You're adorable."

His smile is indulgent. I'd like to smack him over the head.

"Seriously, Tae—"

"Shush," he says firmly. "It won't make a difference. You won't change my mind."

We enter the bedroom. He carries me to the bed and sets me down on the edge. When I stand up, he pushes me back down.

I close my eyes and sit there, rigid, taking deep breaths through my nose, until he says, "Get undressed."

I open my eyes and stare angrily at him. "You're joking."

"You need sleep."

"I need a hatchet and for you to stand still while I swing it at your head."

He cups my jaw in his hand and gazes down at me, his eyes dark and beautiful and sad. He murmurs, "You don't mean that."

I feel a twinge of guilt and hate myself for it. Sighing, I close my eyes again. "No. I don't."

He crawls onto the bed and drags me on top of him, arranging my limbs so I'm using his body like my own mattress. I admit, he's a very comfortable mattress. Comfortable and good smelling. I have to consciously resist the urge to snuggle into his broad chest.

I groan. "Why are you doing this?"

"Because I want to. And I can. And you want it, too, only you're stubborn as hell and won't give me the satisfaction of admitting it."

"I said no to your insane cohabitation proposal."

"You considered it."

"But I said no."

He strokes a hand over my hair. His chest rises and falls with his heavy exhalation. "Jen. It's done. You're mine for twenty-eight days. You can hate me for the rest of your life after that if you want, but for now, let's enjoy it."

"You say that like I'm being unreasonable!"

His voice hardens. "Squawk all you want, it's done."

I take a moment to enjoy a visual of him howling in pain as I bite off his nipple. A yawn distracts me from the impulse to disfigure him.

Taehyung kisses my forehead, wrapping his arms around my back. He starts to rub a gentle circle over my spine with his palm. "What's your favorite color?"