Chapter Thirty Eight

𝐸𝑛𝑧𝑜 ☽

My father gave me vague details about what had happened. He could barely fucking speak because he was crying so hard. I eventually told him to send me his location and hung up on him.

I wanted the doctor's to tell me what happened. I didn't trust my father at all.

They were at a nearby private hospital. Diego told me he had taken the boys with him to the hospital when the... accident happened.

I couldn't leave Aurora at home alone w. I didn't want her to worry, and part of me needed her by my side.

She was the one who knew how to keep me calm, even in the most stressful situations.

She was my light, even in the darkest of times.

And right now, I was afraid I would cause a scene in the hospital when I saw my father again.

I also needed her to help me out with the boys. They were probably terrified at this point.

I had already gotten dressed and packed a few things into a backpack before I finally bent down beside Aurora and gently shook her awake.

She opened her eyes and stared at me.

She rubbed her right eye with the back of her fist, yawned, then sat up.

"Sweetheart?" She whispered.

I smoothed her hair back and gave her a small smile.

"What time is it?"

Another tear escaped my eye and rolled down my cheek.

Jesus, I hadn't cried in months.

I was fucking happy for so long.

When she saw the tear, she quickly yanked the blanket off her legs and jumped off the bed. She pulled on her shirt that had been laying on the floor and her pair of panties before kneeling in front of me.

She cupped my face in her hands and searched my face, "Baby... what happened? Are you okay?"

A quiet sob left my mouth as I bent forward and pressed my forehead against hers.

"It's my mother...she's been in an accident. She's—" I sniffed, "She's in the hospital right now. I don't know exactly what happened since my father was having trouble telling me but...fuck."

She moved my head down so it was resting against her chest. I wrapped my arms around her waist and finally let out all the emotion I had been bottling up for the past hour.

She raked her fingers through my hair, hushing me and rocking us back and forward.

"It's okay, my love."

"It's not, Aurora. I can't lose her. Even though she's fucked up a few times... she was the one who was there for me in the end."

"I know, baby. I know."

She didn't say anything else after that. She just held me in her arms, in the dark, while I sobbed my heart out.

Her warm embrace soothed me after a few more minutes. Even though it had only been about an hour and a half since Diego broke the news to me, it felt like it had been ten years.

I needed to go see her.

I slowly removed my face from her chest and looked up at her. The pads of her thumbs wiping away all the tears.

"I couldn't leave you here alone to worry, so I had to wake you up. I'm so sorry to ask you this, but I was wondering if you would come with—"

She cut me off with a soft kiss on my lips. I melted into her touch, kissing her back much more firmly.