The Monster and The Superhero

After discussing what to do next, the group decided to have Eddie stay in hiding at the boat house, while the others return home to get some sleep. Steve dropped everyone else off before Max and Cal. Cal had offered her to come back to his place but Max declined, wanting to check on her mum. The young Harrington then decided to stay with Max for the night again as Steve agreed with the idea.

When Steve made it to Max's, she got out of the car and walked to the trailer, Cal about to follow but was stopped by Steve placing a hand on his shoulder.

Cal turned around to see Steve with a concerned look, "You feeling okay? I just... wanted to make sure after what you said this morning." Steve asked the boy, calling back to Cal's nervous breakdown in the VHS store.

Cal nodded, "Yeah, yeah I'm fine. I... I just need to get some sleep, you know? Be refreshed for whatever tomorrow brings." He answered, a small smile on his face.

"Alright, look after each other." Steve said, pulling Cal into a quick hug. Cal pulled back, offering a genuine smile to his brother, before exiting the car.

He walked up to Max's trailer, hearing Steve's car drive off, and entered. He closed the door, turning around to see Max on the couch holding a note. Cal slowly walked up to her.

"What's it say?" He asked, gesturing to the note in her hands.

Max let out a sigh, "Mum had to go to work again." Max said, placing the note on her right.

Cal nodded as he sat on her left, gently grabbing her hand, "What's on your mind?" He asked.

Max looked over to him before looking at the floor, "Nothing to worry about." She responded.

Cal furrowed his eyebrows. He gently placed his hand on her chin and slowly lifted it to have her look at him, "Max, whatever it is, it's making you down in the dumps. Now, I know you don't have to tell me, and I don't want to force you, but it's usually better to tell someone about this stuff, even if it's just a single word." Cal spoke in a gentle tone.

Max hesitated before speaking, "It's just, I never really see her anymore, my mum. I know she has to work to support us, but I... I just wish I could have her here for a day, just us, spending time together. Especially with the Upside down shit again. I guess... I'm afraid something bad is going to happen this time." Max confessed, her breath hitching as she spoke.

Cal let out a frown, bringing her into a side hug as he rubbed her back up and down, "Hey, it's okay. You've been through so much that it's only fair to feel like this." Cal comforted her, keeping his voice in a gentle whisper to ease her, "And you can count this alright, I'll do everything I can to protect you and everyone alright? I'm not letting them die and I'm especially not letting you die, you hear me? I don't care if it's a struggle to use my powers, I'll save you and I'll save them." He assured the redhead, a soft smile on his face.

Max slowly opened her eyes, tears forming in them slightly.

"Promise?"

"Promise."

They stayed in each other's embrace, a comforting silence surrounding them before Max broke it, "What about you? Are you okay?" She softly whispered.

Cal looked at her, hesitating before speaking, "Of course I'm alright, why wouldn't I be." Cal obviously lied, he was always terrible at lying.

Max sat up from Cal's embrace and looked at him with a 'really' look, causing Cal to nervously chuckle as he rubbed the back of his neck, 

"I'm fine, really." He told Max, trying his best to make it seem true.

Max continued to glare at the boy, watching as Cal averted his eyes away from her. Max's glare softned before she let out a sigh, "It's not fair." She mumbled as Cal, hearing her mumble, looked at her with a raised eyebrow.