The Letter

Rachel POV:

Tap. Tap. Tap.

My foot continuously hit the ground while I internally groaned. I stretched my arms forward and laid my head down on my table, peeking out to see the incomplete letter I was writing.

The fall of the Xyrus Academy was close, and it was upmost important to make sure that this was unsuccessful. Even though there are many powerful characters capable of defeating Draneeve, and also the fact that there is no Lucas, the plot may have changed more and someone more powerful may head the attack.

'I need to make the necessary preparations,' I thought while taking out paper to write a letter to Gary to return to Xyrus Academy. However, I was now stumped deciding the manner in which I would convince him to come back earlier.

'I can't just tell him that there will be an invasion, he'll definitely ask for proof. Not only that, I don't want to really ruin his family time.'

I shook my head to get rid of negative thoughts and steeled myself. 'No! I must call him back! Even though I feel bad for his sister, he needs to be here when the attack occurs!'

I sighed again while slowing picking up the quill to write. 

'I didn't want to change too much before, but I will definitely need to alter the direction of the war,' I thought while writing my letter, 'But that almost guarantees the fact that I'll need to reveal my real identity.'

Halfway done with my letter, my mind was buried under negative thoughts again. 'I just keep on imagining everyone's betrayed faces as they call me a monster,' I cried internally, 'Especially Lancelot's! Wait, why do I keep on only imagining Lancelot's face?'

Thankfully, Undine appeared by me side before I found myself going deeper. She sighed before tapping my forehead with her small hand, causing a cooling effect to spread throughout my body.

I exhaled a deep breath I didn't even realise I was holding before thanking Undine.

Hmph! It is my job to take care of my contractor after all!

I chuckled while looking at her cute expression. Undine gave off this mystifying and cool appearance when she first appeared but she acted like a tsundere nowadays.

I don't know what you are thinking, but I know it's offensive! Undine commented inside my mind while I laughed louder.

I didn't have to share all my thoughts with her, only the ones I wanted to. This at least allowed me to keep my own secrets from her, though I felt bad for that.

Are you writing to that Lancelot boy? Undine questioned as she hovered over my letter. She was incapable of reading the language of this world even though she could converse in it.

No, it's for Gary. Why would I even write a letter to Lancelot? I replied back.

Oh, I don't know, cause he's your fiancé! Meanwhile, Gary is just some random handsome good friend of yours!

I scoffed before replying, Lancelot and I are engaged only in name. Not only that, Gary is not just some random friend of mine! He is probably my closest friend!

I wasn't lying when I said that to Undine. Gary seemed to have the ability to easily understand me and we became closer very quickly. Of course, not in a romantic manner, merely in a platonic one. 

He was always the leader and mature mediator of the group when we were researching the mana zone. All our arguments were settled by him, and I guess you could say the three of us looked up to him.

Also, did you just call him handsome? I asked Undine who slightly blushed.

'He is quite handsome now that I think about it,' I thought to myself while finishing up my letter.

'Both Lancelot and him have this refined noble-like looks, very different from Alistair and Arthur. Though Lancelot looks more like a royal mage while Gary looks like a war general strategising from behind the lines.'

(A/N: Canonically, Ren Dover is not meant to be very handsome but he is here.)

My cheeks were tinted red as I kept on imagining Lancelot's face.

'Why am I thinking like that? He is a 12-year old child while I am 30 years old mentally!'

Did our little girl blush thinking about her future husband~ Undine teased me while continuously buzzing around.

Oh, and who was the one that first blushed after saying Gary was handsome? I teased her back.

A knock came from the door and Undine disappeared into thin air. 'Saved by the knock huh,' I thought before asking the person to enter.

The head butler, Alfred, entered my room with a bow. "Young miss, the Lord is asking for your presence."

I nodded before handing him a letter, "Get this delivered to Gary."

His eyes widened as he recognised the mana seal on top of the letter. This mana seal would instantly destroy the letter if anybody other than Gary were to open it.

'Good thing I have his mana signature stamp from the time we were researching mana zone.'

I deeply exhaled before exiting my room. I entered the room where my father, Lexter, was working.

"Father~ You called for me!" I exclaimed as I rushed to him like a child.

His frown evaporated into thin air as a smile replaced it. He opened his arms and hugged me, kissing my forehead.

"You should act more like a lady by now, Rachel," he scolded me but I knew he didn't mean anything by what he said. He liked the way I acted like a spoiled child in front of him, and I didn't mind either.

'My worries simply dissolve into this air when I am inside his arms like this,' I thought as I reluctantly separated myself from him.

"So, I heard you have been feeling off nowadays," he asked me as his expression lost its warmth.

Of course he would find out! You have been thinking about something and been acting like you are a widow! Undine commented inside my head before appearing by my side.

My father was one of the few people who knew about her existence so this was fine. 

"Is this because of the letter you have been writing to the Gary boy?" he asked with a low, threatening voice.

Sweat trickled down my neck as I felt his mid-silver stage aura erupt from his body. While it wasn't anything unbearable for me because of my spirit contract and light yellow stage, it was still hard.

Father realised that he was releasing his aura and receded it soon after. "First it was Lancelot and now Gary, how many more do I need to worry about..." he mumbled something under his breath.

I tilted my head to the side before asking him, "What did you say, father?"

"Hah, nothing. I just hope you are doing fine." he asked me with a worried expression on his face.

Guilt inside my heart increased as I lied to his face, "It's fine, father! Nothing much! I was just getting worried about lagging behind Gary and Lancelot and so was writing a letter to him for such purpose."

He seemed to not have believed me but he still nodded his head, "If that's what you say, I'll believe you. I'll make sure your letter reaches Gary completely intact and unopened."

"Thank you father~" I exclaimed in a high pitched voice in excitement. Excitement of both fooling him and also having his promise of sending the message properly to Gary.

(A/N: An early release here since I wanted to enjoy my holiday on Thursday without any worries. Anyways, enjoy this chapter!)