Chapter 25:: The Dance

Chapter 25// The Dance

"Where do you want these?" I call to Adam, grabbing his attention with the tray of beautifully iced cupcakes in my arms. Adam frowns at them for a second, before gesturing to the far end of the buffet table, dodging helpers galore and the people setting up the stage for the dance. We have half an hour until the dance begins, and my shift is over, not that I particularly mind. Sophie and Billie are helping me out, and the work with them at my side is twice as fun as it would be on my own.

"Aye aye captain," I roll my eyes, making my way to the end of the table. It's laid out with all of Adam's best food: cupcakes, cookies, sausage rolls and many more, with a giant bowl of fruit punch supplied by the charity funding the dance. To be bluntly honest: that bowl will be spiked at the end of the night, without a doubt. The charity funding the dance this year are a local children's charity. They're holding a raffle, and various fundraisers throughout the night for a good cause, alongside the initial ticket costs. People from all over Hamilton are coming so it should be a good night, at least for everyone else. Me? I can't say I find the slightest bit of pleasure in dances. It's cold in the evening, the drinks will all get spiked and all I'm going to be doing is watching Jesse and Rita dancing.

It doesn't sound very appealing to me. At least I have Sophie though- she doesn't have a date either.

"What time do we get let off?" I hear Billie asking Adam from behind me. "Is there anything else you need us to do?" I turn around curiously. Adam is surveying the scene before us: checking for flaws. With the help of Billie, Sophie and a couple of my co-workers, a huge buffet table has been set out. Not only this, but rows of paper cups for drinks, a tower of plastic cups for the punch and everything is decorated sublimely ready for the workers taking the serving shifts. With the extra two pairs of hands, we've managed to finish early. People working on the stage and lighting are still running about, checking everything is in order, but we are finished. So what do we do now?

"I don't think I have anything else for you to do," Adam frowns, "You guys can finish early then. I'm going to go and get changed. Enjoy the dance, and thank you for your help." He offers Billie, Sophie and I one fleeting grateful glance before heading over to inform the other two employees. We're free now until the dance, although I'm not quite sure what we're going to do.

"That guy is all kinds of hot," Billie blows her bangs.

"Shame he doesn't swing for our team," I smile. "What do you guys want to do while we wait?" I glance around us. The dance is already set up, minus the final adjustments. A large area of shallow wooden decking area has been set out as a dancefloor, surrounded by chairs and tables. In front of the dancefloor is a small stage where a band's kit has been set up ready for all the volunteers from the local schools, local orchestra and choirs. You know: those people that actually have musical talent. Overhead of the entire set up are strings of fairy lights, and all of the tables have been kitted out with glass vases of flowers and fancy placemats. It looks amazing: heaps better than the cheesy school dances I have to live with every year.

"Let's head to the water," Sophie grins, "Last one there is the rotten egg!" Just as I fully register her statement, she takes off at speed towards the navy water in the distance. She's surprisingly fast in heels. Billie and I glance at each other for a second, before I release a strangled squawk and take after her. The cold sea wind batters my face and I have to squint, my ankles twisting awkwardly every time I take a step in my heels. Luckily, I didn't go for ones too high, because we all know how that would've ended. I tripped out of the house and landed on my butt just wearing these ones, to the enjoyment of my twin brother.

When Billie and I finally catch up to Sophie, we're both panting, but Sophie has a kind of exhilarated grin on her face. She runs track, the weirdo, so that run was actually refreshing for her. Sophie looks at us for a second, hooks her heels from her feet and steps into the sea to paddle. She winces at the cold water, and I don't blame her: that water must be freezing. "Come on guys, paddle with me!" Sophie encourages us. Her eyes are twinkling with happiness, her cheeks flushed from the cold.