Chpt 43: Its A Long Story

(Authors note: I will be sort of changing around the timeline in this story, not too much but i just wanted to tell you all before you pointed it out eg. i know it takes longer than a few hours to get to Hawkins from California)

I was on the road for a few hours as i tried to make my way to Hawkins. I was almost falling asleep at the wheel. I was mentally and physically exhausted.

I took a deep sigh of relief as i saw the "Welcome to Hawkins" sign. I sped up slightly as i knew exactly where i was going. I drove straight through town until i finally reached the woods at the edge of town.

I drove the car into the woods and left it there. For all i know, they could have had a tracker in the car so i could not use it anymore. I hopped out of the car and began walking to the old cabin.

I felt a wave of sadness wash over me as i saw it. It was a bittersweet sadness. I hadn't been in the cabin since Hop was still alive. I left all my stuff there. I didn't even bring my clothes.

I just never wanted to step back in there again. But now, i had to. I walked inside and saw it was all trashed from when the Mind Flayer attacked El. I saw all of our old board games and books thrown across the floor.

It looked like no one had lived there in years. I walked into my room and saw all my old posters and polaroids on the wall. I smiled as i looked through them all.

There was pictures of Hop, El, Steve, Robin and even Nancy and Johnathan in some of them. As i was looking at them, i heard a floor board creek from outside. "Hello?" i called out.

I heard more floorboards creek. "Who's there?" i questioned walking towards the door. I jumped suddenly as i saw a group of guys in Hawkins varsity jackets all standing in the cabin.

"Who the hell are you guys?" i asked. One of the guys stood closer to me with a bright, fake smile. "Hi, i'm Jason and these are my friends. We heard that a guy may be staying here. Do you know anyone called Eddie Munson?" he asked.

I hadn't heard that name in a while. But why would he be staying in my cabin? "I might... But he's not here. This is my cabin" i said. He took another step towards me.

"Are you sure? Because this cabin looks pretty empty. Perfect place to hide out" he said. I took a step towards him. "Listen, i've had a pretty shitty day. More shitty than you would ever believe. So i'm going to say this once. Get the hell out of my house."

They all let out a laugh. Jason took a few more steps towards me. "Where is Eddie?" he asked angrily as he was inches away from me. I sighed in frustration as i ran into Hoppers old room.

They all ran after me as i locked the door quickly. They all began trying to break down the door as they shouted at me. I began searching through Hoppers closet. I let out a small laugh to myself as i found his old revolver hidden under his old coats.

"Open the fucking door!" i heard one of the guys shout. "Alright! I'll open it. Just... Back up!" i shouted back. They went quiet as i slowly opened the door.

All of their cocky smirks slowly faded as i pointed the gun in their faces. "Woah, woah, woah! Just hold on a minute! We can talk this out!" Jason exclaimed.

"I'm okay. I'm not really in the mood for talking. Now get the hell out of my house!" i shouted. "Joy?!" i heard a voice call out from behind me.

I turned around swiftly as i lowered my gun. I saw Lucas standing there with a shocked look on his face. "Lucas?!" i exclaimed. "You know this psycho, Sinclair?!" Jason shouted.

"Yeah... That's Jim Hoppers daughter... I know her from around school" he said. I gave him a confused look. "Oh shit. Your Joy Hopper? I've heard about you" one of them said.

"Really? So then maybe you'll know that i will use this" i snapped. "Wait, wait! Joy, just put the gun down... And tell them where Eddie is" he said. "What?" i questioned. He gave me a frustrated look and i realised he was trying to help.

"Fine... Eddie's in the shed... Behind the cabin" i said. They all ran out the back door towards the shed. "Sinclair, what the hell is going on?!" i exclaimed.

Lucas grabbed my sleeve and dragged me out of the house. We ran and ran until we were out of the woods. I knew by his panic that we had to run.

Once we finally got out of the woods, we stopped running. "We have to get to the school. I have to warn Dustin" Lucas said as he tried to catch his breath.

"Warn him about what?" i asked. "Eddie. Jasons girlfriend was murdered and they think Eddie did it. And they also think that Dustin knows where Eddie is so they're coming after him."

"Eddie? As in, Eddie Munson?" i questioned. "Yeah... Do you know him?" he asked. "I used to. He wouldn't kill anyone. Maybe give them drugs and cause an OD but that's about it" i said.

"Well then, we'll have to ask him ourselves. But first, we need to find Dustin" he said. We began walking to the school as Lucas told me about high school.

He told me how he joined the basketball team and how him and Max broke up. I felt bad. I thought they were really cute together.

Once we finally got to the school, we ran inside and began searching all the classrooms for Dustin and the rest of the group.

Whilst we were  looking in a classroom, we stopped as we heard footsteps. Lucas ran out of the class and i followed him quickly. As he sped around the corner, i heard everyone scream and shout.

"It's me!" Lucas shouted. "Lucas?" i heard Nancy exclaim. "It's me" Lucas said through pants as he tried to catch his breath.

"Jesus, what's wrong with you, Sinclair! I could have taken you out with this lamp?!" i heard a voice exclaim.

I knew that voice. I slowly walked around the corner as everyone pointed a flashlight in my face. I closed my eyes as the light hurt my eyes. "I brought backup" Lucas said.

Everyone lowered their flashlights as i finally opened my eyes. I let out a small exhale as i made eye contact with Steve. Our two eyes locked as we both stood there awkwardly.

"Hey" i said giving a small wave to break the awkward silence. Robin pushed past Steve as she embraced me tightly. "What the hell are you doing here?!" she exclaimed.

"It's a long story" i said with a small laugh. As she let go, i saw Steve still staring. His mouth was open with shock. I didn't know if he was happy to see me or not. I couldn't tell.

"Dustin! I've been with Jason, Patrick and Andy and they've gone totally off the rails. They're trying to capture Eddie, and they think you know where he is. You're in terrible danger!" Lucas exclaimed.

"All right. Yeah, that definitely sucks, but we've got bigger problems than Jason right now" Dustin replied. Everyone looked towards Max.

"What kind of problems?"