10 || Death Game

Chapter 10: Death Game

Ashton sprang into action the moment the bell rang, moving at lightning speed.

His opponent, a well-built athlete known as Jake, wasn't going down so easily. He'd began throwing punches and jabs in all direction, attacks Ashton did well to dodge.

Ashton was strictly on the defensive, a part of me feared this was it, the invincible Ashton was pushed to the brink of defence.

I could see Mr Malik, a frown plastered on his face as he watched his son. He was so focused on perfection that he took nothing less, a part of me felt heating rage at the thought, he'd signed Ashton up for this.

Almost in an instant, you could have missed it, Ashton threw an uppercut right in Jake's jaw, following up with speedy jabs and punches to his face and stomach.

I watched as Ashton dominated the enemy, his gloved fist making impacts with the opponent, pressing him towards the ropes.

But Jake was equally as fast, just as quickly as he'd attacked, he went on the defensive, easily dodging a blow and striking Ashton back with all his weight.

I watched in horror as Ashton slumped backward, immediately regaining his stamina. He raised his hand, wiping his lips… wiping on a bloodied lip.

"Ashton!" I yelped in concern. Angie grabbed unto me, pulling me into a hug.

I'd seen Ashton bleed before but not like this, he'd always seemed so invincible, but here he was pushed to his limits, sweat prickling down his muscular torso.

Ashton, please don't die, please, I thought to myself, the fright taking a hold of me.

Jake lunged once more, slamming Ashton with a barrage of attacks as Ashton simply blocked, swerved and dodged.

Jake soon backed down, drawing in unsteady breaths. His eyes were fixed on Ashton with determination. He attacked once more.

They both held each other in a clinch, immediately broken up by the referee. Ashton immediately took the opportunity, throwing swift blows after blows at his opponent.

Slamming his fists into Jake's stomach, Jake wheezed, all the air escaping his lungs. But Ashton continued, throwing punches right at his opened face.

Jake had now began bleeding, his teeth a reddish tint, blood and sweat matting the arena. I could see why this tournament was called an underground boxing. It was a death game.

The referee simply stood, watching as Jake bled, wheezed and coughed.

Ashton stepped back, his bloodied fist dripping, watching his opponent who laid helplessly on the floor.

Jake laid on the floor, a bloodied mess, yelling and unable to move. The referee progressed to him, announcing him unfit to continue before a team of medics rushed into the ring, surrounding him.

The crowd went crazy, cheers, woos and praises from the audience but Ashton didn't faze. He simply climbed down the ring, taking of his gloves as he walked backstage.

I watched at paramedics rushed to Jake's side, putting him onto a stretcher and dragging him away.

A part of me was glad Ashton was alright, that he wasn't the one being pulled out a stretcher. But another part of me was horrified by the thought he could be the one lying on that cold floor, surrounded. He'd barely won this match, how long before he found himself in the range situation.

No! He'll be fine,

My phone finally pinged, breaking the silence in the room as Jessica and Angie just started at the screen.