11 || Love's Complicated

Chapter 11: Love's Complicated

“Is that coffee?” Angie asked once she and Jessica got back.

Well, to be specific, they more like staggered back. Angie was just sober enough to mouth one or two words, Jessica was unable to move an eyelid. Completely exhausted, she pounced on the couch, immediately dozing off.

“Man, she’s definitely going to feel that once she wakes up,” Angie said, even though she was barely holding the mug steady enough to meet her lips. “We had soo much funnn… shame you couldn’t be there.”

I gave a small smile, turning my gaze from the wattpad story I’d just began reading. “Angie, you know drinking isn’t my scene.”

She sighed, knowing very much what I was talking about. “It’d have been nice if you were there though… Jessica and I tried to see who could get the most guys to buy our drinks.” She laughed, following up with a slight hiccup as her eyes drooped.

“Sounds fun, who won?” I asked even though that was a very obvious question seeing as Jessica could barely even take off her clothes before crashing.

“At one point, she'd began comparing every guy who bought her drinks to Devin… she’s definitely head over heels for him.”

Angie!” I chuckled.

“What?”

“You know I don’t gossip,” I said, turning back to my phone for three seconds before finally giving in and turning to Angie. “Tell me everything.”

•••

It had taken me two hours to get Angie ready for bed when I figured she could barely do it on her own. I sighed, finally relieved when she began snoring.

I grabbed my phone, checking the time.

11:36pm

I definitely shouldn’t have taken that coffee so late. I sighed, slipping into my bed and aimlessly turning around.

I grabbed my phone and played candy crush for another half an hour before finally groaning and making my way to the living room where Jessica slept.

My mind wondered through the conversation between Ashton and I earlier this evening.

I’m doing this for you, Maddie.

A part of me felt guilty just knowing Ashton was risking his entire life, even his career just for me. I should have stopped him, I should have refused. But I knew Ashton, he was stubborn, if he had his mind set, there was no going back…

And that scared me…

What if he got hurt badly but still kept going, it’d be my fault.

Last semester, he’d gotten hurt because of me, that story had a happy ending, who’s to say this one would?

I sighed, promptly receiving a kick in the face as Jessica stirred on the couch.

How did she do it? Jessica was in love with Devin and even though he was participating in a match that could leave him broken, she herself slept like a baby. Well, an alcohol persuaded baby.

I grabbed my phone, going online. There had to be some good reviews on the tournament, maybe that’s what allowed her sleep like a baby.

My eyes scrolled through the search results from “Black Spinel Tournament”

“The psychological damage of the BST”

Nope, not that article.

“A barbaric and highly dangerous tournament”- UFC champions comment on the BST

Not that either.

“Two promising wrestlers dead after mortal injuries from the BST”

Nor that.

I spent another thirty minutes scrolling through the web just to find one good review on the BST, all to no avail.

Well, I did find one that mentioned winners had a greater chance to become pros, but that wasn’t helping, who was to say Ashton would win… and even if he did, who was to say he’d win in one piece.

I drew in a deep breath, trying my best to push back all the fear and anxiety. Ashton was going to survive, he was going to win this.

But almost every wrestler were also determined to win, Joey, Devin and thirteen others.

My fingers hovered over the search bar. I tapped it and simply typed “Devin Laschester.” I needed to know what Ashton was up against.

His picture popped up on screen as well as a brief description and some stats I hardly knew the meaning of, so I just went straight to watch some of his matches.

There the results stood, a plethora of matches he’d fought and won. I was scared to admit it but Devin was an even match to Ashton… And if the worse came to be, they were going to have a face off.

A sudden fear crept into me, I couldn’t help but slam my phone against the coffee table so hard it cracked the screen protection.

Shit!” I mumbled.

I picked the phone back up, staring at Ashtons number. I wanted to tell him to quit, I wanted to tell him he didn’t need to do this, I was contempt being the broke college girl living buy on a scholarship and massive student loans.

But I knew Ashton had already set his mind to this, I could either support him or not, so I typed.

Maddie: good luck on the tournament.

I sighed, numbly staring at my ceiling.

Love’s way too complicated.