Tanjiro x Reader

Traveling along the road became a way of life.  Ever since joining the demonslayer corp we never stayed in one place for very long before receiving another mission.  It can be tiring at times but having friends along my side has made it durable and even enjoyable at times despite the occasional life threatening danger. 

The evening was cool and clear as our group walked on.  It was a pretty uneventful day besides Inosuke's little energetic bursts now and again leading to some sort of consequence.  We were all pretty bored from the scenery of trees and rocks with the occasional river.  I myself was hoping for a town to at least offer some new things to look at. 

I looked up ahead to find more trees and shrubbery before letting out a quiet groan.  Zenitsu perked up at the sound and took it as an invitation for conversation. 

"Yeah I'm bored too!"  He turned his attention to another.  "Tanjiro, we need to do something exciting or boredom is going to kill us!  I can't die before marriage!" Zenitsu squealed loudly. 

I snuck a peak at Tanjiro to see what his reaction would be to another one of Zenitsu's loud outbursts.  He paused his walking and turned to the rest of us.  We locked eyes and I quickly retrieved my map to show him.  Opening the parchment, I held it up for him to see.  He leaned in close, making me instinctively hold my breath.  His shoulder bumped mine, making me flinch before he reached over and traced a path. 

"There's a town near here but it's a little ways off our course.  It shouldn't cost us too much time..." he speculated.  We all let out a cheer and changed our direction, heading for the town.  Tanjiro and I fell in step together while Inosuke and Zenitsu bickered over what to do while we're there behind us.  I let out a happy sigh and glanced at Tanjiro seeing that he looked relieved as well. 

Minutes of walking passed before we came across a stone walkway leading to the town.  The sun had begun to set and cast an orange glow over the houses and streets.  We, again, let out a collective cheer as we walked up to the entrance.  The buildings were simply made of wood and stone lending evidence that the village was slightly poor. 

Our group kept walking along to find the streets of the town decorated with banners and flags of navy blue and silver.  People dressed in colorful skirts and vests twirled down the walkways carrying various baskets of flowers, food and other trinkets that they threw in the air or passed out to others. 

As we continued deeper into the town in growing excitement, lively music drifted through the air and grew in noise.  Many people could be seen dancing along in pairs or groups as cheers and laughter filled the early night.  I felt our group's energy pick up as we all bumped together down the streets and looked around wide eyed and smiling.  Whatever celebration we stumbled upon I was grateful for.  It was the perfect distraction after days of traveling. 

Tanjiro herded us to the nearest alleyway in order to be heard over the noise.  We all stared at him in anticipation of what call he might make.  He wore his own sweet smile as he gave his order to us. 

"Tonight let's have some fun!"  For a third time we all cheered together happily.  Tanjiro adjusted his pack before continuing. 

"But if we split we should meet together somewhere so we can continue on tomorrow."  He gave us all the location and name of an inn we had passed by earlier. 

I looked at everyone, seeing the excitement in their eyes as we began to break off.  Inosuke immediately turned around and ran away, probably to show off what a menace he could be.  If I wasn't bursting with happiness I might have been worried or concerned.  Zenitsu also quickly turned around and headed straight to a group of girls dressed up for the occasion.