chapter five & 1/2

The drum line had done their job of getting everyone excited for the rally. The band's rendition of We Are The Champions had skyrocketed the enthusiasm. And the dance team had just finished their very sultry routine.

"Are you sure you're ready for this?" Carly asked me.

I wiped my hands on my jeans, trying to calm my racing heart. "No."

The school mascot, the Westview Viking, was running across the gym floor, keeping the pep levels up. To prepare for the Student vs. Teacher relay race.

And then it would be time for my speech.

As Dean Andrews announced the participants of the race, and the rules, I checked my phone one last time. No notifications, nothing from Jake.

"He's going to be here for the game, right?" Wesley asked, peering over my shoulder at my blank phone screen. "He's never missed a game."

It was going to be a relatively easy game. Season opener against the King's Court Cougars. But that didn't mean that I wanted to play it without Jake.

I'd never played a game without Jake. "I hope so."

As the race started, my phone buzzed in my pocket. A text from Brennan.

 A text from Brennan

"Sam, it's time."

I tucked my phone back into my pocket

I tucked my phone back into my pocket. "Great."

As the cheerleaders ran out into the gymnasium, everyone roared with excitement. The WORD was palpable as I followed the cheerleading team out, trying to fake my way through with a smile.

Slicking my hand back over my braids, I nearly tripped over my Vans as I made my way up to the podium. The entire school watching me, waiting.

Waiting for the speech I was going to give to prepare them for tonight's game, for the season in which I was definitely going to take us to play-offs and I wasn't a waste of school funds and even though I was a girl on the football team I was very worthy of my position despite the fact we lost to Blue Creek every single year which was always followed by incredibly sexist and vile comments by the very people I was standing in front of now, who were all watching me and waiting for me to-