CHAPTER 3 - Plucks

THE piercing sound of my ringtone snapped me out of my thoughts. I glanced at my phone, immediately frowning at the name displayed. There was not one atom in my body that wanted to speak to my boyfriend.

I knew I was being dramatic, but I couldn't get his words out of my head. Stupid, childish pipe dream. Was I really that incapable of pursuing my dream degree? Did he have so little faith in me?

Luca's opinion of me was held in high regard because we spent so much time together. Over the last five months he'd seen me at my worst and best, throughout exam season and hours of dedicated studying. Yet he doubted my academic ability so much?

Writing had helped a little, but my mood still remained low. I'd studied a bit, watched a few episodes of my comfort show and attempted to nap. But Luca might as well have been sitting next to me, repeating those words to my face because they weren't leaving my mind.

Engineering wasn't a pipe dream. It was the dream. Since I was young building and designing things had always fascinated me. Being in a career that gave my creative side the opportunity to shine through was all I wanted.

Restlessness spurred me to get out my exercise clothes and ten minutes later I was standing outside my front door, prepared for an evening jog.

Walking up the driveway was Valentina, our part-time maid who used to be my full time nanny. She was the person who kept me company most days when my parents were at work. She took in my attire with an amused expression, adjusting her backpack.

"How are you, Fallon?" She greeted me with a warm smile which I returned, meeting her halfway. The urge to answer her truthfully was strong, but even though I was quite close with Valentina, I knew she was still my mother's employee. Anything concerning that I said to her would be passed on.

"Fine, just in the mood to be active." I told her, gesturing to my attire. Valentina looked at the darkening sky with a slight frown.

"It is quite late, Fallon. It'll be pitch black soon."

"I won't be out for long, plus I have my pepper spray. I'll jog around the neighbourhood."

"At least let Bruno come with you." She suggested, talking about our security guard.

"All the staff resume work tomorrow, when my mum comes back." I informed her. "I'm surprised you're here, weren't you told?"

Valentina offered me a warm smile. "I was, but didn't like the thought of you spending dinner and the night alone. Unless Luca is staying over again?"

My smile faltered slightly and I shook my head. "No. Just me. But thank you Valentina, that's really sweet of you. I'll be back in time for dinner, yeah?"

She nodded but the frown remained and I chuckled. "It's a safe neighbourhood, don't be too worried." And with that I was off.

Fifteen minutes in, I realised I made a grave mistake. My legs were burning and my chest felt like it was about to cave in. I was panting embarrassingly hard, and the only thing fuelling me was my remaining anger towards Luca. I wanted it completely out of my system, and this seemed to be the only method working.

After five minutes, I reached the park nearby and dramatically fell to my knees on the damp grass. I worked out occasionally but running... never again. As I was catching my breath, I heard a screeching sound and immediately after a black motorcycle blurred past me.

Standing still for a second, I watched as it crashed roughly into the park gates, the noise practically setting my ears on fire. I'm not proud to admit I stood there for a good few minutes in shock, unsure of what to do. The sound of groaning snapped me out of my thoughts and I moved towards the source.