Cleanup & Farewell

Looking at the beheaded Gato, Haku turned toward Zabuza and asked "Should we dispose of his body as well?"

Zabuza shook his head and said "No...if the leaf shinobis can't confirm that Gato is dead then they might try to pry into things further. They won't investigate who killed him and the guards at the mansion as this isn't a part of their mission. Let's go before anyone comes in."

'I wasn't sure when that kid said that Gato would no longer be a problem but looks like he did what he said he would. For a week I should just lay low. Today I will be sealing my sword and removing my bandages so that I can live in plain sight. I'll send half of Gato's wealth to Tazuna in a few days as well. The kid wasn't even fighting. I doubt his allies know about his strength or not.' Zabuza thought as he left the mansion with Haku and disappeared.

On the bridge now everyone had gathered except Tsunami and Inari. Kakashi and Guy had finished killing all the bandits and their leaders. He decided not to follow Gato as it could also be a trap. Kakashi saw that most of them were tired so recuperating and resting would be the best choice.

As he and Guy walked toward the rest of the group he saw Sasuke and Neji were covered in injuries and some of them even had a green substance on them. Sakura had applied the ointment while Lee and Naruto were helping them stand.

Kakashi then turned toward Yami who was standing at the railing looking at the river below.

'Did he let his brother and ally get injured to such an extent before helping them?' Kakashi thought. He walked closer to Yami and asked "Why didn't you help them sooner?"

Without looking at Kakashi Yami said "What doesn't kill them makes them strong."

"I don't think I can win an argument against you." Kakashi shook his head and looked back at his comrades with a satisfying smile. He felt that Sasuke and Sakura had grown up compared to how they were at the start of the mission.

"You all must be tired already. I will clean up here." Yami said and Kakashi nodded. Though the fight wasn't too hard for him, the number of enemies proved to be a big problem. Kakashi turned around and saw a bat flying toward Yami. The bat had a small white paper rolled and tied to its legs.

"Seems like your source has sent a message." Kakashi said.

Yami turned back and saw the bat coming at him. The bat hovered near Yami for a few seconds before gripping his arms upside down. Yami removed the letter and let the bat go back.

He read the letter and then burned it. He looked at Kakashi who was now standing with the others.

"What did the letter say? Anything we should know?" Kakashi asked.

"My source says Gato and some of his guards were found dead in Gato's mansion. Looked like a bandit team betrayed him and stole all his wealth killing Gato in the process." Yami said.

"The things people do for money." the old Tazuna said as he shook his head. For those who weren't shinobis, money was a power in itself. The money Gato depended so much on became the reason for his death.

"Let's go for now and get some rest. Yami handles the cleanup and get Gato's head back. I will need it while presenting the report to Hokage-sama." Kakashi said and left with the others.

Yami performed some hand signs and created 4 clones. He then looked at the clones and flickered out. The clones knew what they were supposed to do when they were created. The people dead here weren't shinobis so devouring them won't give Yami anything so the clones started to take only the heads of the bandits and put them in a scroll and burned everything else, the body and even the blood. The bodies on the bridge were thrown in the forest and burned as well. Using a fire jutsu on a wooden bridge was not a good idea.

All this while Yami reached the mansion and saw the dead guards and the beheaded Gato. Yami took Gato's head and stored it. He entered the treasury and as expected it was empty.

He looked at the empty treasury and muttered "I didn't save you both because I took pity on how you died in the canon but because I felt you are more useful to me alive than dead. But if seeing all this wealth you got greedy then I won't hesitate to kill you and Haku."

Yami dispered into bats and flew toward Tazuna's house. He saw that the villagers were cheering and congratulating for Tazuna. When Yami reached there, they were all just leaving. Yami entered through the backyard which was quiet. As he entered he saw everybody sitting there. Neji and Sasuke were covered in tape.

'Tsunami and Sakura went a little overboard with this.' Yami thought. As Guy saw Yami he asked

"Has everything been taken care of?" to which Yami nodded and threw 2 scrolls at him. On the way he collected the scroll filled with bandit heads from his clones.

Naruto was narrating the entire ordeal on the bridge to Inari. He did leave out some gruesome parts to make the story kid friendly. Inari had stars in his eyes as he heard everything.

"Guy we should leave from here in a day or two." Kakashi said to Might Guy.

"Whats the rush? Why don't you guys stay a few days?" Tsunami who was sitting with Sakura asked.

"No we can't. This mission has already taken way longer than the village anticipated. As soon as Neji's and Sasuke's injuries are healed we will have to leave." Kakashi said.

Both the teams enjoyed the hospitality of Tazuna's family and the villagers for the next day. One of the biggest difference this time was the bridge wasn't named the Naruto bridge.

--------------------

To read 10 extra chapters go to my Patreón

https://patreon.com/lazarus898/

Link in the synopsis as well.

Discord link in synopsis