fourteen - [when] I'll bring the news

"If you want me to read this in front of a camera for the entire country," you announce, "you'll have to drug me."

"That," Shadis grumbles, "can be arranged."

You resist the urge to flip up your middle finger.

Nine in the morning came much too fast, but here you are, sitting in that conference room with at least a dozen other people. Shadis and Erwin, obviously, and a few other official-looking people whose names you've already forgotten. Levi is at your side, obviously, and Hange sits on your other side. Krista- sorry, Historia- and Armin are here, but Mikasa and Eren aren't. There's two others that look to be around their age that you don't recognize: one with sandy brown hair and the other with dark brown hair and freckles.

The proposed script in question is on full display on a massive projector screen at the head of the table. The plan is to find some time today to break into the Capitol's livestream and broadcast something for the rebellion- if the Capitol is playing to every possible screen in the country, then your message can reach the same audience.

The problem is figuring out what the message is. The team that made the first script concept certainly has no fucking clue. "People of Panem," you read sarcastically. "The time is now. We must unite together to take down the Capitol."

"I suppose it does sound a bit wooden," one of the higher ups muses.

You raise your eyebrows. "You suppose?"

"It can be worked on," Erwin interrupts. "But we can establish the main message we want to get across."

The blond man stands up and walks to the screen, picking up a writing utensil. He clears a section of the screen to write on, then turns to the table. "We want to unite," Shadis says, arms crossed from his spot at the table.

Erwin writes it down. "What else?"

"The time to fight is now," someone else suggests.

You roll your eyes. "Now you're just reading the script."

"What's your brilliant idea, then?" Shadis grumbles, glaring at you.

"Tell the Capitol to go fuck themselves and tell the districts to buckle up."

"For fuck's sake."

"We want to tell the districts that District 12 was bombed," Armin pipes up, looking to Erwin. "It'll invoke some fear, I think. That this is real and could happen to anyone. But it'll show them what the Capitol is willing to do."

Erwin nods, and moves to write. Shadis nods along. "That part- that this could happen to any of them."

When the victor backs away, there's four bullet points. He looks to you. "Is this more manageable?"

"Unite the districts," you read, crossing your arms. "Our fight is now. District 12 was bombed, and anyone could be next." You shrug. "Sure."

"Say it like that, I'm sure it'll go over well," one of the military mutters.

"Let her say it how she wants," Levi says from beside you. Fuck, it makes you want to kiss him again.

The military man meets Levi's eyes. "You really think that's our best course of action?" he says incredulously. "Going in without a plan?"

"For her? Yeah."

"He's got a point," Hange chirps from the other side of you. God, you want to hug them. "Look, I'm serious. Think about it for a second. Why are people going to listen to her?"

"Because she's openly gone up against the Capitol and she's won," Erwin says from his spot by the board. He points at Hange. "Keep going."

Hange grins; their smile is contagious, and you start to grin as well. "And what kinds of things did she do that made her stand out?"