Inosuke x Reader

Feet thundered against the ground, dirt clouds curling in my path. My heart thundered in my chest, rattling against my ribs as my lungs worked overtime. This feeling of exhilaration filled me with delight as I sped past towering trees. Birds chirped in protest and small critters scurried away into nearby bushes. Wind whistled in my ears and the warm flowery aroma of the forest filled the air.

My eyes darted around, searching for my target. Quickly and nimbly avoiding rocks and fallen branches, I made my way deeper through the green foliage. The crescendo of anticipation pushed my legs to run faster, harder, my haori flowing behind me like the tail of a comet.

Losing myself in this spectacular feeling, I missed a rock and sent my body tumbling into a clearing. I let out a quick chuckle as I rose and dusted my uniform off, attempting to catch my breath all the while. My mouth turned up into a bright smile, throwing my head back to the beautiful sky above.

A sudden rustle to my right dragged me from my blissful trance as my head snapped towards the direction of the sound. Using quick thinking I analyzed the sound to have been bigger than an average squirrel or bird making my smile widen. My stance shifted to one of expectation and anticipation like a cat preying on a gopher, waiting for its head to pop up at any second.

Seconds ticked by as I suppressed another chuckle, waiting for my target to retreat or, more likely, try to fight. Another rustle and the glance of a fluffy ear made me dart forward, throwing my arms wide to capture my prey.

The person turned in my direction and just as we were only an arm's distance away from each other, he struck out with his foot. An aching sensation hit my shins as I fell into the bush. Thorns and twigs poked my sides and arms as I pulled my body out slowly and painfully. Laughter filled the air as I deadpanned to the person hunched over.

"Inosuke I swear to whatever god is out there that you will pay for a cheap trick like that!" I hissed in defiance, picking leaves out of my hair. The laughter continued as he hugged his sides. I took this chance and sprung forward.

Thankfully he was distracted this time as my arms collided with his shoulders. He let out a surprised grunt as we toppled over, a victorious smile lighting my face. I quickly pinned his body down with my legs as I sat back with a smug expression. He snorted in protest, wiggling and trying to escape my clutches.

"I refuse to lose! Fight me and I'll show you who's stronger!" he yelled. I leaned forward over his face making him stop squirming as I touched the boar head covering his face. My fingers worked the mask loose and raised it over his head as my heartbeat quickened at the sight.

He truly was beautiful even when he looked as grouchy as he did in that moment. He put my own pretty boy charm to shame.  I smirked at him, trying to disguise the red threatening to spread throughout my face.

"How about you accept that I win and will always win," I taunted tugging a tendril of hair that had spilled over his face. He crossed his arms and pouted up at me making my stomach flutter. I rolled off of him to his side but still clutched his boar head to my chest. He turned toward me, propping himself up on an elbow, his expression shifting.

"I still can't believe Tanjiro made me babysit you," I rolled my eyes teasingly at him. His face reddened as a snarl escaped his lips. He sprang forward and snatched his boar head back, a disappointed whine coming from me.

"You're not babysitting me! It's not my fault Gonpachiro never wants to fight!" I sat up and sighed, crossing my legs neatly. My eyes held his own in a knowing gaze.

"You don't have to fight all the time y'know. It's gotta be tiring getting beat up constantly," I replied snidely. He raised an eyebrow at my statement. His fingers ran through the boar head's fur but he didn't put the mask back over his head to which I was silently grateful for.

He seemed deep in thought as the leaves in the trees rustled. His gaze met mine again, the meaning behind it unclear and his expression confused. "Like what?" he mumbled. I looked back at him in confusion as well.

"Like other than fighting?" I questioned. He nodded slowly but deliberately to show his sincerity. I tilted my head a bit, thinking of what to say.

I waved for him to move closer to which he slowly moved forward till we were sitting across each other with only a small space between us. I reached for his hands. He flinched slightly as if preparing to defend but let me slide our hands together in a gentle hold.

I marveled at the roughness of his hands and the twitch of his fingers. My thumb began rubbing small circles on the back of his hand. I glanced up at him to see he had tensed up immensely. I chuckled lightly, moving forward to rest my head on his shoulder, pulling his hands against my chest.

After a few seconds of me panicking to see what his reaction would be, he finally calmed down and leaned forward into my body. I stared up at his bright eyes, finding a small smile gracing his usual hard features. I beamed up at him a small blush dusting both our faces.

"See? This isn't that bad right?" I hummed against his shoulder. He shifted slightly, letting his hands leave mine to place against my back, pulling me closer.

"I still prefer fighting," he grumbled. I shook my head, a playful scoff filling the air between us.

"Fine," I declared before driving my elbow into his stomach. He released me quickly as I shot up onto my feet, making a grab for his mask. I sprinted to the end of the clearing, spinning around and resting a hand on my hip and holding up his beloved boar head in triumph.

He stood wide eyed before a competitive smile broke through his expression. I gave a small bow and leaped away, hearing the approaching footfalls of Inosuke. And so our endless chase continued but I preferred him chasing after me for a change anyway.