twenty-six

M A S S I M O

"How soon until we get everyone out of my goddamn house?"

"Sir, it may be a while." My head of security, Michael, answers over the phone.

"Are you aware that I have a little sister who cannot handle crowds of people?"

"Boss, this is a precaution for your safety as well as your family's," he says. That's not what I wanted to hear.

"How long?" Growing impatient I can't help but get snippy. This whole situation is putting me on edge.

"Sir—,"

"How fucking long?"

"Until we cover every square inch of the house and property."

"Fucking hell." I mutter as I hang up.

My leg bounces shaking the car. I scan every little detail of the house in front of me as I wait for Florence's appointment to be over. The siding is blue, her wrap around porch has a nice swing seat next to a pot of yellow flowers. Her front door is a dark chocolate colour with a small window near the top. She has hanging plants hung up, and a bed of more yellow flowers on her neatly kept front lawn.

This morning at around three a.m, I received a call from my head of security informing me that one of our warehouses outside of the GTA was jeopardized when they discovered a bomb next to the memorial of my father.

This was an act of revenge on my family.

So, while I understand that my people are doing their absolute best so they can ensure mine and my families safety by scanning every inch of the property, I also am aware the effects it has on Florence.

Every decision I make, I make in Florence's best interest. The rest of us we know the risks, we had the opportunity to leave this life and understand the dangers this life entails at eighteen. But she doesn't have that option yet. The minute Elizabeth died, arrangements were made for Flo to live with me until she is eighteen. From there she can choose to leave. But right now, she's being dragged into a life she isn't prepared for. She's scared of men, but men make up the business, she cannot function around new people, yet they are infiltrating her home.

The warehouse that was vandalized was one of five we have in Ontario. It is also the farthest one from our home in downtown Toronto. It took one hour for our life to erupt into chaos. So I am rightfully pissed off that my family's way of life was distrusted because of a silly attack.

My cousin, August, he came down from Quebec as soon as he heard. He wanted to help out as he always has. He's a nice guy. Florence looked incredibly tense in the kitchen. Knowing our brothers they didn't even properly introduce her to him.

Hopefully while he's in town him and Florence can hang out while we all deal with the bullshit that will follow after the scan is over.

Out of no where, my phone starts to buzz in my cup holder effectively taking me out of my trance. Seeing the caller ID I sigh.

"Any news?" I ask Emilio, as soon as the call connects.

"None that you'll like. The house has been scanned, but Micheal wants to set up more security for the house. He's talking about adding people at the driveway gates around the clock. People stationed at every door, and every window should be replaced with bullet proof glass."

"Are you fucking kidding me? This was probably just a stupid attack from a small neighbouring gang."

"I know. But Micheal says that for our safety that's in our best interest. As well as running background checks on every worker in every warehouse. Upping security too."