49- Good News

"I have some good news and some bad news," Dr. Lombardi tells me two weeks later as I'm sitting in her office on a Monday afternoon.

"Let's start with the bad news," I sigh as I lean back in my chair to listen to whatever she has to tell me. I haven't heard any big news for a while now, so this should be interesting.

"I'm afraid that I don't think that you will be making it home for Thanksgiving," She tells me with an apologetic frown. "I mean, you'll still make it to Christmas if everything goes according to plan, but your release will probably be in the middle of December."

"Well, that's alright," I assure her with a small shrug. "Thanksgiving isn't all that great in my family anyway. I just want to be home by Christmas, which will happen because everything is going to go according to plan."

"It's good to hear your confidence," Dr. Lombardi says with a small smile as she writes down something mysterious on her notepad. "Now, onto the good news. It's been a month since I've stopped allowing Niles to visit and I'm impressed, as I usually am with you, about your reaction."

"Yeah, I told you that I wasn't too attached to him," I remind her smugly. "We were just friends. Who so happen to kiss once but we still weren't like, unhealthy or anything."

She lets out a little laugh, "Right, well the good news is that, if you want to ask him to the Halloween dance, I'll let him come to the dance."

"Wow," I say in shock, definitely not seeing this good news coming at all. Although I have missed hanging out with Niles like crazy, I've been doing really well with convincing Dr. Lombardi that I'm doing really well with it. I mean, it's not like I'm being destroyed about it or anything but it still sucks that I only get to communicate with him over the phone. Dr. Lombardi hasn't mentioned Niles in a while though, which is why I'm so surprised that she's even bringing him up right now. "That's really nice. Thank you."

"You're welcome," She says. "I think that it's been a while since you've seen Niles and although I'm skeptical about your relationship, I still think that you deserve this."

"There's only a few days until the dance though, he probably has plans," I sigh, realizing that today is Monday and the dance is on Friday so I'll have to call him tonight and ask him about that. I think that it'd be totally awesome for him to come to the dance because it'd be totally awesome to be able to see him again.

"Well I'm just giving you the option," She tells me. "Now, how was your party committee meetings? Yesterday was the last meeting before the Halloween party, right?"

"Yeah, it was hectic. Quinn got kinda bossy but I just helped with the final layout. There's a few volunteers that volunteered to keep working until the dance but I didn't. I did my part, I'm done with thinking about the dance until I actually go to the dance. I liked it though, it was nice."

"Are you going to stick with it after the dance?"

"Yeah, I think so. It's something to do for a few hours every Sunday so I might as well just keep going with it. Our friend Desiree is going to be the new Quinn so I guess we should be there to support her anyway," I explain to her but I still have my mind stuck on the fact that Niles can come to the Halloween dance. I don't want Dr. Lombardi to think that I'm too excited about seeing him again.

I wonder if he'll agree to come. He might be busy on Friday night. He might have hockey practice or something or maybe he's going to be too busy getting ready for the game that he has on Saturday. But maybe there's a possibility that he'll be as stoked as I am to be able to hang out again. But if he does agree to come to the dance, that adds more pressure for me because I have to find a really good outfit. I usually don't put much effort into my outfits- even when I'm not forced into wearing scrubs, I just put on something black and call it a day. But this time, if Niles is going to be there, I'll want to put an effort into my outfit for the dance.