Chapter 16 | akuma attack!

Tw: trauma, homophobia, horror details.

Things were going well for Adrien, but as per usual when things go well, something has to get in the way. So when loud noises outside woke him up and he looked out the window to see evidence of an akuma, he sighed and reluctantly transformed. He was hoping to get some sleep, but apparently that wasn't the case tonight.

At first he thought it was a run of the mill akuma attack, someone just getting mad and wanting to destroy things. But as he followed the trail of stopped cars and empty streets as people had dropped everything and run away, he started to notice something strange.

Some people were just... standing there. Not doing anything. Jumping down from the rooftops, he wandered over to try and get their attention.

"Hey! It's not safe you should be inside!" He called out.

No response.

He approached the person, and the closer he got the more transparent they looked. Standing before them, they were frozen in place and looked at little ghostly.

"Hello?" He questioned.

Nothing. They couldn't hear him, or see him. He reached out a hand to see if he could snap them out of it, but his hand went right through them.

"What the fuck?" He muttered.

Looking around the empty streets, he could see a few other people like that scattered around. What was going on? He had to meet up with ladybug. Rushing back to the rooftops to jump from building to building, he looked down at the streets at the occasional person frozen and ghostly. What happened to them? And why was this akuma attacking?

Finally he spotted the red of Ladybugs suit on one of the buildings and landed beside her.

"What's going on? Have you seen all the frozen people?" He asked.

"I know, it's creepy. I think something happens to them when they get hit with this akumas power. I don't know what the goal is though, or if the people can still see and hear while they're frozen" she explained.

"Where's the akuma?"

"Heading to the city centre, they passed my window and look kind of like a shadow person with one eye in this void of a head. It's creepy as hell"

With no idea how to approach the situation, they figured they'd follow and stay hidden to observe for a bit before coming up with some kind of plan. So they hopped from rooftop to rooftop in the path of the akuma until they made it to the centre of the city where the akuma was roaming down on the streets.

"Man, that is creepy..." Cat muttered, finally seeing the creature.

Just as Ladybug explained, it was tall, completely dark like a shadow or void. Human in shape but only had one eye, just floating in the void where it's head would be.

"I know, reminds me of slender man or something" Ladybug shivered.

The akuma wandered the city looking for people in hiding, not making any noise as it walked along. No sounds of footsteps, not even the sound of breathing. It was almost like it was a ghost just floating along looking for someone to haunt.

"What is it trying to achieve here?" Ladybug muttered.

"No idea. Can you see an akumatized object?" Cat replied.

"I'm guessing it's that one shiny thing, on its, uh... hand thing?"

Cat only noticed it when she pointed it out, having no idea how she managed to see that from this far away.