Chapter 58

The entire week went relatively peacefully for Sneha, something that she had not expected after the engagement. Besides Viraj's surprise visit to her in the college during dispersal timings, which were on Tuesday and Thursday, he gave her ample space to study and do her part-time job. On those two days, he just talked to her about their day for about twenty minutes in his car before she reminded him about her job and that she'd be late. However, as a fool, that she is, she made sure to give him a flower as was the new custom between them.

It was already the weekend and as Sneha had expected, the doorbell rang right after she finished her breakfast with her family. It was almost 9 am. Her father just looked at her as she stood to open the door. Neither could he stop her, nor could he stop the person behind the door. But, today was different and he expected his daughter to convince Viraj.

Sneha opened the door and forced a smile.

"Hi." She said hoping he was in a good mood so that she could convince him.

Viraj smiled seeing her give him a warm welcome and quickly stepped inside to hug her.

"You are already ready to go with me?" He asked as he noticed her wearing a mid-calf dress with her hair properly done.

"Uhh... Viraj..." She trailed and looked behind her towards her father.

"What?" He asked as he looked at her father and then at her mother and sister. All were dressed up as if ready to go out. He mumbled a quick greeting to her parents and smiled at his future sister-in-law.

"My bua (father's sister) has arranged a small get-together today as it is my cousin's birthday. So, we were planning to go to her home today. She is my only close relative in Mumbai." She very politely explained, because his permission was crucial if she didn't want his father to go crazy like last time.

Viraj's face fell and became stiff as he understood where this conversation was going. She didn't want to spend the weekend with him, he realized, whatever the reason might be. And, he'd be damned if he'd let her go away from his sight today. He had waited the entire week for this moment!

"Sure!" He said aloud, loud enough for her family to hear. Instantly, her little family sighed in relief and her sister smiled while looking at her mother.

Even his fireball smiled genuinely and he didn't miss it.

"Thank you, Viraj." She mumbled and her body language gave away her excitement.

"Of course. Who am I to stop your father, mother and sister from going anywhere?" He casually added, knowing that his witty girl would understand his real meaning.

Sneha nodded in understanding before her brows furrowed in confusion. Why did he only say 'father, mother and sister', she wondered.

"I...I have to go with them too." She said in a low tone while facing him, her smile faltering.

Viraj faked a surprised expression.

"And, you know my answer." He said.

Sneha quickly stepped closer to him and whispered.

"Please, Viraj. Just for today and tomorrow." She said. She had never imagined a day would come when she'd have to take someone's permission, other than her parents, about going out!

"Oh, so now, it's tomorrow, also!" He chuckled in irritation.

"I mean... I...I promised her that I would come for her birthday. She is getting married soon and this is probably the last time that we'd celebrate together." She tried to convince him. But, he was as adamant as her.