Chapter eighteen ¹⁸ | Breath

Milo laid on his sister's bed in a starfish position with the exception of his casted arm laying against his chest while he looked up at the ceiling

Milo laid on his sister's bed in a starfish position with the exception of his casted arm laying against his chest while he looked up at the ceiling. Old star shaped stains were above his sister's bed on the ceiling from when she'd been younger and had glow in the dark stars glued up so she wouldn't be in the dark.

Milo remembered the day he'd been able to help her stick them onto her ceiling, Maggie had stood on her bed while picking Milo up so they'd be tall enough to do it all on their own together. They'd excitedly waited for the sky to get darker that night just to see those glowing stars.

Maggie took them down two years ago though, when she'd had her first crush come over for an assigned project. She'd hastily ripped them off realising they were there five minutes before said crush was supposed to arrive. Milo rationalised that it made sense she would have gotten rid of them, but he also couldn't help but miss them.

He laid there unblinking, staring up at those stains that slowly started showing a month after Maggie had taken the stars off the ceiling two years ago in the first place. He missed being a kid, he felt as if his childhood had been slipping away for a while now. But that was the least of his worries at that moment. Instead his mind was swarming with thoughts about Nick, Charlie, Tao and so much more.

He barely registered the music blasting in his ears at an ungodly loud noise level that his phone had already sent a unread message of warning on exceeding his weekly sound rate. Maggie was with a friend. Instead he just laid there with just his thoughts by himself.

Finally snapping out of his buzzing thoughts Milo used his non broken hand to push his fringe away feeling too warm before heaving himself up into a sitting position tearing his gaze away from those star shaped stains. Trying to busy himself looking around the room to avoid anymore worrying, his eyes stopped at Maggie's makeup dresser being able to see himself in the mirror.

For once he didn't avoid it and instead stared at himself in the mirror. A bad taste forming in his mouth as he really looked at himself. Eventually getting off the bed and walking over to sit down at the chair in front of the dresser mirror to get a closer look.

'Maybe he wanted to end things because of me.'

The sudden intrusive thought caught Milo off guard, sure he'd had thoughts like that before but usually they'd only been about him not including others. Though he continued staring at himself noticing the two little freckles under his left eye moving his hand to touch them.

'Is it because of the way I look?' Milo wondered to himself slowly, dragging his finger down to his nose, turning his face slightly to see how his nose lifted slightly, annoyingly perky but was that normal?

'Do I make them look bad with me around?' Milo continued his destructive thoughts as he moved his finger down to tap at his lips remembering the way they'd felt against Nick and Charlie's, a fond memory causing him to slightly smile.