ten : truck duty

Y/n stands staring out the back door with their arms crossed over her chest

Y/n stands staring out the back door with their arms crossed over her chest. Her eyes stared out hearing the others packing the little stuff they had. A hand reaches its way up and on Y/n's shoulder causing her to turn her head quickly to lock eyes with Madison's.

"Hey," Y/n breathes out as Madison gives her a small smile, removing her hand from the girl's shoulder.

"Thank you," Madison whispers and Y/n squints her eyes raising a brow at the older woman. "You protected Alicia and I. Thank you."

"You know I'd do anything for you and your family Madison," Y/n responds and the blonde-haired woman nods, looking out the back door as Y/n follows. The sun just now beginning to rise.

"You'd do anything for Alicia." The woman's voice is low, almost too low for the girl to hear but she did and glances to the floor, kicking slightly at the ground with her boot. "We're heading back into the states. I'm going to allow you to have your shotgun back don't make me regret it."

"I barely use that thing." A small smile inches onto Madison's voice as does one of Y/n's seeing the one on Ms. Clark's. "But thank you." Madison nods and turns her head away from the backyard, looking at Y/n.

"Do you love her?"

Y/n turns her head swiftly locking eyes with Madison's, confusion washing over her at the question. Madison's eyes flick back and forth between the 19-year-old, tilting her head.

"Do you love my daughter?"

"Of course, I do. She's my best friend, we grew up together," Y/n responds as Madison raises a brow. "Oh...You meant..." Y/n's lips trail and looks down at the ground shaking her head from side to side. "I-"

"Madison, we're ready," Strand's voice speaks at the door cutting Y/n off. Both of them turn their heads and to the man in the doorway. Madison nods and pats Y/n's back before heading to Strand. Once she leaves the room, leaving Y/n alone a long sigh draws from her lips almost as if she was holding her breathe. One simple question, or really not that simple, could cause someone to hold their breathe without even realizing it.

Y/n bites their lip and grabs the strap of the shotgun, slowly following out the door that Madison had.

They walk through the house and out the front door. There, Y/n finds Alicia sitting in the back of the pickup, adjusting a few pillows before slightly glancing up and down but looking back up entirely locking eyes with Y/n. A smile forms on Alycia's lips, not teeth showing. She tosses up her hand as Y/n forms a small smile on her lips putting up her own hand at the girl.

"I don't trust you," a voice spoke beside the girl. Y/n jumps and drops her hand, turning her head swiftly to meet the side profile of Strand.

"That's fair. I get why," Y/n says, shrugging. Strand raises both of his brows nodding slightly.

"Do you? If you did you wouldn't have endangered their lives, my life."

"I didn't know you were part of the group. I was trying to get Rue away from all of you either way," Y/n spoke, sensing the man really did not like her.