[ 27 ] My Deepest Apologies

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN
• my deepest apologies •

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

PART ONE OF A DOUBLE UPDATE

THREE WEEKS WENT by relevantly fast. Thomas-as expected-was everything anyone could talk about. Which was ironic considering the brunet wasn't able to say a word back. She sensed the loominess that hung around the Glade whenever the boy was mentioned. All of them were aware of what had happened to him-how he had been on the brink of death but miraculously survived.

Evony hadn't told anyone about the dreams she'd been having prior to his suicide attempt. The ones that she was convinced she shared with Thomas. A couple days after the chaos had erupted, she had taken some time to write down the parts of the dreams she could remember. The more she thought about it the more she was able to put the pieces together.

Every dream was showing a different way that Thomas could've killed himself. Slicing his neck, shooting himself; locking himself in the maze, and getting eaten by a Griever. Except in the dreams it wasn't him dying-it was her. Frankly that should've terrified her more than anything, but then she remembered how Alec was. He seemed much more collected when around Newt rather than if he was talking with her or anyone else. It was like the blonde was his anchor. Someone to ground him and give him the confidence he needed.

Evony didn't want to sound conceited, but if she was that person to Thomas then her theory would be proved correct. Newt told her that Alec dreamt of killing him several times-exactly as Thomas had. And she bet that every other Glader who have died had a person staring in their dreams aswell.

They were being tortured by seeing their person die by their own hands. That could possibly be enough to drive one insane.

She noticed other little details regarding her fellow Gladers. Gally was becoming more rough around the edges; he had started making his tone sharper when giving orders to the builders. She wasn't quite sure what the cause of this was, but she had a feeling she'd figure it out soon enough. It possibly could've been due to the changes that were happening in the Glade.

Aaron had been uncharacteristically quiet. He'd stop involving himself in conversation, laying back on the speaking and relying on others to do the talking. She found the behavior odd, especially when he was usually so adamant on taking control of every situation he was in. Every once in a while she would notice him sending her a low glare. His face would scrunch in disgust before he stalked his way past her. Though, Evony chose not to acknowledge it. If he had a problem with her then he could sort that out on his own.

Then there was also the tragic event that had occurred. One day when the runners went out into the maze, she had been informed of an injury. Ben had been stung.

Ben was stung in broad daylight.

From that moment on the Keepers had tried their best to keep the news on the low, but it was hard when the boy was screaming everyone's ears out because of the pain he was in. Ben claimed that it wasn't as bad as it was, but Max denied that fact. He told her that Ben was clearly experiencing seizure-like symptoms.

Evony had also asked Minho if he noticed anything, but her friend responded by saying he only ever saw the boy during the day. He said he wasn't willing to stay with the boy at night anymore; he had left that job up to Max.

With all of that considered, Evony still did her normal activity. She unhooked her harness, slipping off the pack on her back and holding it in her hand. Using her free hand she ran her fingers through the top of her ponytail, and pulled out the hair-tie to let the hair fall to her shoulders. She then ran a hand through the strangled mess, trying to tame the sweaty monstrosity.