( 16 )

~ levi
[ 11:59 PM ]

I throw the intruder's belongings into a bonfire until stopping at his wallet and looking through it. There's his ID, along with an investigator ID card and keycard. My brows slightly furrow as I read his name: Emelio Preston. I throw his wallet into the fire as I continue to read the information on the card, then I check the time on my phone. I could make a run to his office, see what I could find there since he was a private investigator. I let the burn barrel burn as I walk away, back down the alley to my car.

I park down the street from the address and walk the rest of the way in case the location had cameras. I flip my heavy hood over my head and raise my mask over my lips before scanning my surroundings. There was no movement, the lights in the brick building were off, no cars parked in the parking lot, front or back since I'd did a lap around the building as well. I found a fire escape on above the dumpster which would allow me enough height to get up there and find an unlocked window to get inside.

I climb up onto the hood of the dumpster and use all the power in my legs to grab the last bar of the ladder slightly hanging off the edge of the platform above me. I twist from beneath it and pull myself up onto the escape. Then I start trying every window I could reach until finding one that happened to be already cracked open.

I tighten the black gloves on my hands before pulling it up and stepping inside. I gambled with the alarm system; it was an older building with what looked like no renovations, so it was more likely they didn't have a motion censor based alarm. Plus there were no motion censored lights outside, so I should be okay. I grab my light and exit the dark office, stepping out into the hallway before checking the plate to the door. I was looking for E. Preston.

I was on the second floor, so I had no clue how long it'd take me to find his office. It really came down to testing my patience because his office was tucked away on the fourth floor, at the very end of a hallway on the very opposite side of the building where I had entered. Now I had to keep replaying how I got here so I'd know how to get back.

I enter Emelio Preston's office after again having to try every key on his keyring and discovering the right one. I flip on the light switch as I close and lock the door behind me. I glance around the medium sized room, tall bookshelves on the walls, a pinboard beside me next to the door and his desk accompanied by arm chairs directly in front of me. Stacks of paper decorated the surface with his computer between them. I walk over to start scanning the documents, searching for anything related to me and Astraia.

I find police report copies of the incident at the gala where Austin had gone missing and I had took down my target Xavior. I stop and read the details on his death, although it mentioned nothing about Austin. So he was investigating me for his murder that night...

I grab the report and keep looking. I stop again when I find another police-related document. It makes my breath deepen a bit and a bit of adrenaline spike my chest. It was an artist sketch of Astraia that night, with her bandages...

Astraia had nothing to do with what happened to Xavior.

My brows furrow as I take that as well. And I read on the very next sheet a schedule of Mando Enterprises, and I read Axel and Austin Mando's names over some of the events. What the fuck...

I pull out my malware hard drive, turning on his computer and plugging it into the USB port. I watch as the program pops up on the screen in a box, scanning through thousands of codes before unlocking the password to the computer. I take out the drive as I see several folders already opened on the device, and all of it has something to do with Austin.