Chapter 46 - The Hunt Pt. 10

I was gasping for air, and Nathan holding me towards his chest doesn't help at all. I can't breathe! In other times maybe, I would've celebrated this moment. Nathaniel just hugged me you know! When I first pulled him into a hug, he was frozen stiff, and now he's hugging me like there is no room for tomorrow.

But yeah, I can't breathe.

"Brother... wait..." my voice was lost and sounded distorted.

I mean he could still embrace me without my face shoved in his clothes, right? At least I would get to enjoy that.

Nathan then removed himself from me which was really disappointing. I only said to let me breathe not to stop!

His wild ruby eyes roamed all over my body, then to my face and I just sat there on the ground blinking at him. He looked so worried...

"I told you to not do anything rash!" He suddenly yells out which made me flinch..

It was so loud which hurt my ears for a moment. At this rate, I would end up deaf.

Nathan then brushed his hair backward and heaved a deep breath before staring back at me, appearing calmer now.

"Don't do that again or I swear to Luminus..." he declared and sighed for the second time, "Are you okay? Nothing hurt? You did not break any bones, did you?"

I was just gaping up at him. Like, who is this? He was being so talkative right now. The Nathan that I know only has a few words to say. Ah, but this version of him was cute though...

It just means that he is very worried about me. Fufufufufu~

"What am I going to do with you..." Nathan muttered in a low voice, sounding exasperated.

'Hug me again brother!'

"Nadia, you scared us!" Ezekiel joined in as he stood there at the side, holding his knees while catching his breath.

'Aww, you guys, stop it!"

"I am fine," surprisingly~

I mumbled before a thought crossed my mind-- "Bea!"

I looked in the direction where she fell down. I had shoved her with quite the force of a thousand army, which was very dumb for me. What if she bumped her head on a tree or on a rock?!

Bea was sitting upright, eyes widening, and was also catching her breath. The little cute fox was being poorly crushed in her arms and was wriggling about, trying to escape. I let out a relieved sigh when I didn't see any injuries or blood gushing from her head.

"Are you okay?" I asked her.

Bea nodded and hugged the poor little fox. She was slightly shaking, maybe from fear. It's understandable, she almost got trampled on by the wild boar after all. It's only natural for her to feel immense fright from that.

Looking back from that particular moment, my heart skipped a beat from the memory of the boar almost ramming itself to us.

'That was a close call!'

Speaking of that hell-spawned, my eyes swiveled to its way. It was lying there on the ground with half of the tree atop its body.

"Is it still alive?" I inquired. We can never bring down our guard, this is the wild boar we are talking about.

The three looked at the unmoving pig.

"Let me check," Ezekiel says and saunters to it.

He then carefully prodded it with the tip of his sword before slightly bending down to check if it was breathing. I was having severe anxiety because I was thinking the boar would suddenly jerk its head and bite Ezekiel's hand. It never happened though...

Not that I was waiting for it...

Ezekiel straightened up then looked at us. He then shakes his head.

"It's dead," he declared.

His words made the rest of us who were holding our breaths, released another sigh of relief.

"Thank the heavens..." I muttered and leaned to Nathaniel who caught me abruptly.

Ah, the tiredness! The fatigue! I want to go home now and sleep like the dead. This has robbed me off of my energy for the whole day.

'I would do anything for a warm bath right about now...'

I rested for a bit before Nathan helped me get up. The three of us then joined the prince there beside the boar and looked at it. Its blood had formed a red pool around it, blanketing its big body.

I should be icky because of how macabre it looks. I have never seen too much blood like this before, but it's strangely giving me peace of mind. It just means that it is really dead and would not wake up anymore.

My foot lashed out and kicked it.

"You seriously troubled us today!"

Is kicking a dead animal considered bad? If it is, then let me be worse and kick it again.

The sound of hooves trampling the ground caught our attention and all of us turned in the direction of that sound. A little while later, three horses emerged from the trees with three familiar figures sitting atop them. Two of them were pulling what seemed to be a raft made from woods with dead monsters and the likes tied on it.

'Uhh... Where did they get that raft...'

"Where is that wild boar?! I have come to slay it!" Shouted Eon who was looking so pumped at this moment.

"You're late. It's already dead. No slaying left for you," Ezekiel answered and smirked at him.

"What?! I raced here for that you know!"

Yo!" Conrad greeted and got off his horse.

The other two got down as well and went in our direction. The three then stared at the pitiful looking boar bathing in its own blood. Eon purposely crouched down and poked it, maybe trying to confirm it himself.

'Nothing you do will bring it back to life Eon... And if you did, I will make you its bait.'

"Wow, it really is dead..." Luther muttered, marveling at the sight of its still form.

Conrad glanced at her sister looking at her over, "Were you hurt?"

'Aww, look at that. Never knew Conrad could be caring to his sister too...'

Bea nodded and peeked at me, "Nadia saved me..."

"She did?" Conrad's eyes then turned to me, "Thank you. I guess I owe you one now."

A smile painted my lips.

"Heh~ That is nothing. I am only saving my friend."

I mean, what are friends for, am I right?