Chapter 54 - Avoid At All Costs

My eyes swiveled to the worrying doctor.

'The Tower's archives? Why must everything point out to the tower? Is it really inevitable for me to ignore its existence anymore?'

But I truly am not ready to face the great magician yet! At least give me more time, like four more years if possible. Let us ignore it for four more years, please.

"But I am okay now, right? There is no need to look more into it... I think," I muttered and played the fur with my fingers. I was trying to stall, if we ever did try to connect to the tower in any case, that would just solidify my fate.

'But I have not hurt anyone anymore though. Destiny wouldn't be too cruel to still push the future of the novel Nadia, would it? I have turned a new leaf! At the least, I will still try to antagonize the female lead as per the plot. But it won't be shoddy any longer! I will do it with class!'

That won't earn me my neck, would it? Janus would be the biggest stingy person on the planet if he would still get me just because of some slight bullying. But I can't bully Estelle either, she's... she's too cute you know? And I like anything cute!

"But young miss, what if it would happen for the second time? We would not be sure that blankets and fire would suffice anymore," Doctor Haudie reasoned out..

'Dang it! He has a point!'

"You should rest more," Nathaniel voiced out after a while.

I looked at him with an expression of utter bewilderment.

"I think I had rested enough brother," I answered and smiled at him sheepishly, "And I also think that I badly need a shower," then wrinkled my nose.

Don't they see how much I had sweated out earlier? I feel like I was literally bathing in my sweat a while ago. Resting could come later, hygiene first. More importantly, I was bedridden for almost five days, I could not have taken any proper bath at that time, could I?

I blinked at my brother multiple times in the act of winning him over when I saw how he was about to reject my idea. Excuse me but, taking a shower is on top of my priority list right now.

"We will help Milady for it, young master," Mari steps in, to my rescue.

'Thank you, Mari~'

Nathan sighed as a sign of surrender and patted my head.

"Rest afterward, you understand?" he ordered.

I eagerly nodded my head.

"You should rest as well, brother," I told him because seeing how tired he looked, he needs it more than me-- "You too, doctor. Please take a break. I will be fine now, I promise," I added.

My eyes then strayed to Kai and Lost who were gazing up at me with a solemn expression. It made me chuckle, especially how pouty Kai was being.

'Where the heck is that angsty teenager from the novel, go? When he was first brought home by Estelle, he was seriously rebellious and would give her extreme headaches from time to time. He would also cause trouble anywhere he goes, so seeing how contrasting the current him in front of me and him from the novel, it was both strange and intriguing.'

Both of my hands reached out and patted each of their heads, same as what Nathaniel had done.

"Don't worry anymore, okay? Big sister is fine and well," I cooed in the most gentle voice possible.

It might sound cringey as to how I just referred to myself as a big sister, but who cares? Do you care? I will beat them with an arrow if they say it is lame.

Lost glanced at the fox for a moment then turned her amber eyes on me.

"I know that because it protected you," she then mentioned out of the blue.

'Hmm? Who protected me?'

Before I could ask her about it, she was now tugging Kai to get off the bed. Freesia then brought the children out of the room while I watched them go in confusion.

'What was that? Is it just gibberish from a child? But is Lost considered a child though?'

"Nadia?" Nathan then called out, waking me up from my thoughts. He was staring at me with furrowed brows, probably worried by my sudden silence.

"Are you really okay?" he asked as he roamed his red eyes over my face.

I let out a smile to pacify him. He was being too fussy with me again. If this goes on, his impending rest would get more delayed. Who knows how long it was since he really, I meant, truly rested? He is a stubborn man so if it's only coming from the servants, he wouldn't listen to them at all.

"Brother, looking between us. You look more sick than me! Go and sleep! I would get mad if you don't rest until the evening, I swear!" I warned him as my tiny hands pushed him off my bed.

Nathaniel frowned but he got off anyway. He stood there at the bedside with a worried expression. My eyes rolled heavenward. It is cute that he's being such a sweet and caring brother, but I am more concerned with him at the moment.

Staring at him now, I think he had lost quite a weight. His hair was messy as hell and in need of washing and a serious combing session. When did he last shower?

His shirt was crumpled in places and has many wrinkles all over. Even me is anxious to iron it for him, or maybe change it for him. When did he last change his clothes?

So yes. Both Nathan and I need to shower, and he needs to sleep. Period.

"Go now, brother!" I shooed him again. I tried to stand up and Nathan helped me by holding me upright.

I was wobbly in my feet, perhaps because I had not used my legs for a couple of days. So his help was greatly appreciated.

"I will leave now. Rest, okay?" He uttered for whatever times this day.

"Yes, I know~ Gooo!" I urged on as Mari and Erin took his place assisting me.

The two were very reluctant to leave my room, but my dismissal made them do so nevertheless.

After they were gone, I heaved out a deep breath and released it.

'Now, what was I thinking a while ago again?'