seventeen - when my body's closed down

This was a hellishly tough chapter to write for me. Kept redoing it because I couldn't figure out how to get it right. Trying to write this 'shift' (for lack of a better word) in Em's personality was really hard and I'm hoping I did it justice. Love you guys.

.

When you come to, you've got a massive headache.

Everything feels fuzzy, like someone threw your brain into a tornado and let it spin around for a while before settling it back in your head. You scrunch your eyes shut, trying to ward off the pounding in your head. You try to raise a hand to your head, but you can't. You're pinned down.

Dizziness gives way to panic, and you're quickly forcing your eyes to open and your gaze to focus. The room is white, blindingly so, and it takes you a while before you can get your vision to clear.

Plain white walls and one door. Matching white ceiling and white tiled floor. You're in a chair that's angled so that it's leaning back, wrists strapped down to the arms of the chair. There's a small cart next to your chair, nearly empty- save for one small silver tin- and a chair on wheels. A table lies at the side of the room with two large device screens.

No one else is in the room. Just you and some damn white walls.

You pull angrily against the restraints but to no avail. What happened? You vaguely remember something happening in your room- fighting someone that came in. Then, a sickly sweet smell, and now... here.

The Capitol. It's always the fucking Capitol. 

Fuck- someone captured you. Traute or whatever the hell her name was. "Fuck," you mutter under your breath, tugging against the straps again. "Fuck!"

How do you get out of here? Where even is 'here'? 

You've spent all of two minutes struggling with your restraints when the door opens and you immediately straighten up. A man and a woman- neither of whom you recognize- enter the room, carrying clipboards. You wait for them to say something, but neither of them do. "Hey," you say. "Where am I?"

Neither of them reply to you. "Commencing trial one," one of them says, setting their clipboard down on the cart. They pick up the silver tin. 

Your eyes zero in on the tin as they open it and pull out a needle. "Oh, hell no," you snap, and when the other person's hands grab your head to tip your neck sideways, you start to squirm. "Don't touch me, don't-"

There's a pinch. You hiss through your teeth as the two of them back away.

Huh. The room is spinning. "What the fuck," you mumble, head drooping.

You're out within seconds. 

.

Something's definitely not right.

It's like you're submerged in murky water, floating aimlessly through an abyss and you can't see any of your surroundings. But every time you try to swim, try to move through the haze, it gets worse. It blocks you.

Why is this happening? Why is this-

Almost like you've been electrocuted, you shoot awake, jerking against the straps tying your wrists down to the arms of the chair. You try to gather your surroundings but recognize it as that white room, the white room you'd fallen asleep in. Not fallen asleep in- passed out. Right?

That's weird. Something's not right in your head. 

"Hello," someone says. Your head twists so fast that something in your neck cracks. It's a tall man with crisp black hair and a weirdly styled beard. He's dressed in a white lab coat thrown over what you're sure is an expensive suit. "You're safe here. The Capitol saved you."