34. fredrick maybank.

T H I R T Y - F O U R
fredrick maybank.

Later that day Otto's mum came to visit, she was shocked at how quickly it all happened.

Otto had mumbled something about it being too fast.

Laura held the baby that still was without a name, the new parents hadn't properly spoken about names and they hadn't even thought about it since the baby was born.

JJ had so quickly gone from panicked and overwhelmed, out of his depth, then elation. He wanted to hold the baby all the time, but while Laura was there she held the baby most of the time. What annoyed him was the fact the baby seemed to prefer Otto more than him.

"To be fair he only knows me, you're just some weird stranger." She smirked at JJ after her mum left.

"One day he'll warm up to me, just you wait. I'll train him to hate you." He was currently holding the baby and just staring at it.

He couldn't really believe it was real, an actually baby. An actual baby he played a (very small) part in making.

JJ Maybank was a father.

When he looked back up at Otto as she hadn't made any comment back to him, she was passed out. Her breathing deep and steady, eyes closed. The nap was very well deserved, with the baby asleep on his chest he stared at Otto.

He watched her for a long time, the rise and fall of her chest, her long dark lashes resting against her cheek, the long since dried tracks of tears that shined a little in the light.

He still felt awful that he couldn't help her. There was absolutely nothing he could do, even though he wanted so badly to be able to help.

But all he felt when he looked at her was love. He loved both the baby and Otto more than he thought was possible.

He'd die for them both in a heartbeat. It wasn't even a question.

Otto slept for a few hours, and when she woke up she saw JJ staring at her.

"I love you." He said very seriously.

He knew she wasn't going to say it back, but he just needed her to know. He'd been wanting to say it to her for so long.

She looked away from him and shuffled her position, "I'm really fucking hungry."

"Take him, I'll go get you something. Any requests?"

"A burger, with chips. And a diet coke, but it has to b--"

"Super cold? I've got it."

JJ handed her the baby and went off on his mission.

He didn't care that Otto didn't say 'I love you' back to him, if she did he'd know it wasn't genuine and that would be worse. He didn't know if she'd ever love him, but it was clear she cared a lot about him, and that was enough for him.

Of course he wished their relationship was something more, he hated the thought that one day she'd move on and get a real boyfriend, and their weird friendship would end.

JJ slept better with Otto beside him, she was like his new drug.

Otto just made his life better.

When he came back with a greasy burger, heavily salted chips and an ice cold Diet coke a nurse was walking in at the same time. It was the same nurse that taught him how to hold a baby.

She held a bottle, "Have either if you fed a baby before?" She asked.

"I have. Considering be hadn't even held a baby I really doubt he has."