14 || Emergency

Chapter 14: Emergency

The first time I’d seen Ashton box, it’d been back at home when I’d gotten my admission letter to Prinscott.

I’d been so fixated on knowing all there was to know about the school, I took to the internet, id found out about the schools boxing programme and by extension, id found about him. Even if I knew nothing about boxing back then, I’d thought he was just as good as he was charming, he had those striking blue eyes, quick heavy attacks and a smile that could melt a crowd.

And now, over a year later, he still carried that devilish charm. I watched as he made his way into the ring like owned the place, his charismatic smile on his lips as everyone stood, cheering him on. In the ring, he took little warm up hops, throwing small jabs and punches in the air as he prepared for his opponent.

His opponent was a blonde guy of similar body build, lean muscular arms gloved in red boxing gloves.

They both locked eyes, both taking an orthodox stance as the countdown to the match began. The bell rang.

The blonde made a quick strike, lunging for Ashton who barely dodged. Ashton reacted with a right cross to his face, sending him staggering back to gain his balance. The blonde was quick to recuperate, immediately throwing jabs at Ashton.

“You can do this Ashton,” I could hear Justin yelling, almost spraying a bucket of popcorn in the air.

Ashton lunged, at the blonde, barely striking him before he took a step back, throwing a punch which landed square in Ashtons face. He moved with speed, following up with a left hook to Ashtons face.

Ashton quickly backed down, making a safe distance between him and his opponent. A dark fear hit me as I watched Ashton, wiping the blood off his lips, drawing in deep breaths. But Ashton was persistent, he rushed back at the opponent.

Like bullets, they moved, each targeting the opponents open spaces, landing punches after punches until their gloves were matted red.

Why isn’t he quitting, he promised he’d quit. I found it difficult to watch as sweat mixed with blood, running down his nose and lips but Ashton showed no reaction.

They both backed away, Ashton and his opponent stumbling from weakness and exhaustion.

“Fight! Don’t lose,” Mr Malik mumbled, clenching his fist. I could see how much he was restraining himself from standing and probably yelling at Ashton on how weak he was.

Both men stood in the ring, unable to keep a focused gaze on each other, I watched in horror as Ashton tried to keep his balance, taking back his attack stance.

The opponent struck, throwing much slower jabs and punches which Ashton did his best but could barely dodge.

His opponent the his final punch, landing right in Ashtons face and pushing him backwards but almost in an instant, Ashton sent another attack, a haymaker right across his face, sending the opponent to the floor, unconscious.

I couldn’t help but yell from relief, I didn't care if Mr Malik saw me, a calming relief washed over me at the thought he survived.

“Ladies and gentlemen, the winner, by elimination, is none other than the undefeatable ASHTON MAL-“

The host was immediately interrupted as Ashton coughed, dark red blood spilling out his lips as he tried to find his balance, finally crashing to the blood stained floor.

For a second, I sat frozen, unable to think as the crowd began yelling.  My eyes fixed on my boyfriend laying in the centre of the ring, unmoving.

Oh my god! I had to hold myself from screaming, Ashton wasn’t moving.

He isn’t dead, he isn’t dead.

“Can we get the paramedics in the ring? Emergency!”

Medics rushed in, all I could do was stare in horror as both boxers were placed on a stretcher, carried out the ring.

•••

The End

Just kidding, we still have a lot to tackle, Mr Malik, the tournament. I'm so excited for the next chapters.

Do you think Ashton should quit the match? I'd love to here your thoughts.

Don’t forget to vote if you enjoyed the chapter and I’ll see you tomorrow (or today, I hardly follow schedules)

Bye
-Thea