Chapter 30: So Close

Jules slowly walked down the snowy roads of Hateno. Her gaze was stuck on the path, watching as her legs moved, unable to bring herself to look upwards. She hadn't meant to argue with Zelda, and even if that had been her intent, she never would have wanted it to be in such an ugly manner. Groaning, she brought her hands to her face.

Why do I always get like that around her? She asked herself. It's not like I want to fight with her...

Allowing her guilt and annoyance to swirl inside her chest, she continued to walk aimlessly through the village, ignoring the frigid air that brushed against her cheeks. It wasn't until the ground beneath her feet turned into wood did she finally come to a stop. Confused, she looked up to see that she was standing on a bridge, with a lone house sitting on the other side. Once Jules realized where she was, she frowned.

Yeah, of course, I end up here, she thought, bringing her hands up to rub the side of her upper arms. I don't feel like I should be here, not after what I just did.

Reluctantly, she began to turn away, yet something caught her eye. It was a small glimmer, barely noticeable against the white of the snow that covered the ground. Unable to contain her curiosity and going against what her conscience had just told her, she stepped further onto the bridge and looked out into the cliffside field next to the house. From there, she could see the homeowner standing in the snow, skillfully swinging around what seemed to be a long, curved blade.

Is he... practicing? She asked herself as she watched from afar on the bridge. I've never actually seen him use a sword before. He's always told me stories, but to actually see one in his hands. That sword... that isn't the purple one that he usually has.

She stood in place for a while, watching as the swordsman danced with his weapon. It was amazing to witness. He stood so firm, but moved so smoothly, even with the thick snow beneath his boots. Every swing and turn was purposeful, for there was no room for wasteful movements in his imaginary fight. It was inspiring, so much so that Jules couldn't bring herself to walk away, for she was entranced by his art.

The urge to go over and sit nearby came over her, wanting nothing more than to watch from up close. She wanted to speak to him, ask what he thought of as he swung his blade, despite the ever-growing guilt that loomed over her conscience. Internally she debated, making to turn away, yet always returning to form when she realized she just couldn't pull her eyes away from him. Finally, after what felt like an eternity of spinning on the bridge, she pursed her lips and continued across the rest of the bridge.

Since when have I been the kind of girl to get nervous like this? She asked as she stepped onto the swordsman's land. He's a friend, one of my best friends. You gave up on him back in Gerudo Town, so get your act together.

"Hey there, Link," she said as casually as she could.

To her surprise Link actually jumped at the sound of his name being called. He quickly turned around, and for a moment, Jules could see a glint of hostility in his eyes before they softened. Now filled with surprise and worry, he blinked at her.

 Now filled with surprise and worry, he blinked at her