Chapter 27

"If a lay here, if I just lay here, would you lie with me and just forget the world"
-Snow Patrol

"What happened?" Alex is quick to ask once we enter our mansion. When we arrived at the King house, or whatever was left of it, the fire was already put out. Thankfully Aaron and Grayson are not in a bad state. Aaron just inhaled some smoke but the paramedics said that he would be fine. Gray has some small burns but nothing too serious.

"It was Volkov..." Aaron begins, "Before the fire broke out, we received a call. He said he wanted his son back and that, what was about to happen, would be just a warning." He paused, closing his eyes and taking a big breath. "I told him that I don't have his son but he wouldn't listen. He said that if we don't give him back, he will attack. When we least expect it." He finished with a tired sigh.

"But we don't have his son..." Apollo mumbled.

"No shit." Ares glared at Apollo.

Apollo raised his hands in defence causing Ares to roll his eyes.

Something doesn't add up... "What did he say when you told him we didn't have him?" I ask Aaron.

He scoffs. "That he's not stupid and that he knows it's us no matter how much we tried to cover our tracks."

"Fucking bullshit." Ares mutters.

"He doesn't know who took him and he guessed it's us. But why would he care what happened to him? Last I checked he despised him." I wonder outloud.

"Right?" Atlas agrees, "Remember how he treated him when he had taken us. No better than a fucking prisoner. And the way he talked to him..." He trails off.

I do remember...

"Dad, you're gonna kill him. I think that's enough for today"

"Silence, boy! And what have I told you about calling me Dad" He said with disgust. "It's either sir or Mr Volkov for you!"

"Yes, sir" The other person replied with a strained and small voice.

"He's still his son, though." Anthony mutters.

"Does Volkov seem like a family guy to you?" Apollo scoffs.

Grayson looks up at me and gives me a knowing smirk. "That little shit escaped."

I nod, slowly. "Volkov is not afraid about his son." I look up and grin at everyone. "He is afraid of his son exposing his secrets!" I exclaim.

"Fucking hell..."A voice mumbles from behind us. We turn around and look at the now open front door, where Matteo, Enzo and Leo are all standing with shocked expressions.

"I thought you were just going for graffitis?" Matteo frowns in confusion.

"How about we go to my office and explain everything." Alex proposes and the three of them nod. Alex shifts his gaze at me. "Athena, do you mind showing Aaron and Grayson to their rooms? They'll be staying here until their home is repaired." I nod and start walking towards the stairs.

"You don't have to do that, Alex." Aaron sighs and I stop and look back. They haven't made a move to follow me so I just lean over the rail with crossed arms and wait.