Sixty

Omniscient

"Mia." "Mia." "Mia, baby you gotta wake up, now." The voice said. Mia groaned shielding her eyes from the brightness of the sun. "What time is it?" Mia asked. When she got no response, she opened her eyes to see she was in a vaguely familiar room. She shot up looking around before she gasped tears filling her eyes. "Bastien?" She whispered.

He stared at her dazed. He had thought about seeing her again for years and here she was. "My Mia." He said so gently it sent a chill over Mia's body. "What is this? What's going on?" she whispered. "I should've told you about my family a long time ago." He said with a sigh.

Bastien stood pacing around the room, Mia's eyes followed his every move still in disbelief that he was here. "Why didn't you?" she asked. "It's not something you just blurt out. Then I saw Isaac and Ahsha showing signs of having the gift—I knew I couldn't hide it anymore. I had planned on telling you." He said. "What stopped you?" She asked not thinking. "I died." He said meeting her eyes. "Why are you telling me this now?" she asked shaking her head. A humorless laugh left his lips.

"Do you know how long I've tried reaching out to you? It's not fun watching the love of your life start over with someone new. Especially with that man. Watching my kids call another man dad. It broke my heart." He said looking down at his hands. "Do you think it was easy for me? I was alone, with two kids." Mia countered.

"I thought I was going to grow old with you. Watch our kids grow up and start their own families and then I lost you." She paused catching her breath. "I almost lost Isaac. Nothing can prepare you for something like that." She said. Bastien went and sat next to her, silence filling the room.

"Our children died." Mia finally whispered. "I know, I was with them when they both crossed over," Bastien said. Mia looked up at him. "I wasn't going to let them make that transition without me. It was nice to have that time with them even given the circumstances." He said looking at her. She nodded her head.

"Ahsha said you wanted to talk. What else is there really to talk about?" She asked softly. "Ali isn't your mate," Bastien said. Mia stood to her feet staring at her husband shocked. "I understand seeing me move on is hard but—,"

"Yes, it is hard especially when the man you've chosen to be with destroyed your family," Bastien said. "Stop it!" Mia snapped. "No, you need to hear this. Ali is not the man you think he is." He began.

Ahsha