33. Care of Magical Creatures

●●●

●●●

Amelia hated Hermione Granger. If purebloods had any valid reason to hate muggle-borns, it would be her and her snobby attitude. The Slytherin was peacefully eating lunch, her plate full of delicious foods, with her back turned against the Gryffindor table. Unknown to her, Ron and his two friends decided to take their spot right behind her. Whoever decided to have the Gryffindor and Slytherin table placed side-by-side wanted to see the world burn to the ground. Because the Gryffindors conversation carried and it caught the attention of a couple of Slytherins, not just Amelia.

"Harry," Ron said, in a low, serious voice, "You haven't seen a great black dog anywhere, have you?"

"Yeah, I have," said Harry. "I saw one the night I left the Dursleys." Ron let his fork fall with a clatter.

"Probably a stray," said Hermione calmly. Ron looked at Hermione as though she had gone mad.

"Hermione, if Harry's seen a Grim, that's bad," he said. "My - my uncle Bilius saw one and - and he died twenty-four hours later!"

"Coincidence," said Hermione airily

"You don't know what you're talking about!" said Ron, starting to get angry. Catching the attention of other students around them, "Grims scare the living daylights out of most wizards!"

"There you are, then," said Hermione in a superior tone. "They see the Grim and die of fright. The Grim's not an omen, it's the cause of death! And Harry's still with us because he's not stupid enough to see one and think, right, well, I'd better kick the bucket then!"

Ron stared at Hermione, speechless. The rest of the students around them glared at the girl's dismissal of such a grave thing that has long caused death to many witches and wizards. Amelia still remembered the day her uncle Bilius died. It was the middle of winter and they received an owl hours after it happened. Her mother gathered them all to visit her uncle on the other side of the country. But when they arrived it was too late. His death was slow and painful and the fear in his eyes stayed as they buried him. From that moment on she feared bad omens and hoped that she would never encounter one in her life. Which is why she could help the words that left her mouth. Angry at Hermione's know-it-all tone.

" Wow, Granger. You must know it all after studying magic for just two years." Amelia's voice reeked of venom. She watched as Hermione's shoulders squared. Other students glanced over at the two girls, curious as to how far the conversation would go.

" All I'm saying is that it's stupid to make such connections. Omens don't exist." Hermione said through grit teeth. Not bothering to turn around.

" How would you know? Muggles don't manage to see such things. I mean you didn't know you were a witch until you turned eleven. You are still clueless to all things involving the wizarding world."

" There is nothing wrong with my perception of things. Even professor McGonagall thinks divination is woolly. A lot of guesswork, if you ask me."

"Of course, you think that. Even Professor Trelawney said you didn't have the right aura for such things! You just don't like being bad at something for a change!"