xxxiii. the masscare at hawkins lab

The Wheeler residence became the setting for questioning as the five kids huddled together on the couch

The Wheeler residence became the setting for questioning as the five kids huddled together on the couch. Powell, curious, asked, "What were you all doing at the lake?" Cassidy, seated between Theodore and Max, remained silent, unwilling to answer. A moment of anticipation passed as they exchanged glances. Finally, Dustin began, "Uh, it's comp—"

"We were... just taking a walk," Max explained. Callahan raised an eyebrow, "A walk? At nine o'clock pm?" Cassidy rolled her eyes, sensing her little sister's glare.

stop glaring at me erica

how the hell are speaking to me in my head nerd!?

first off im not the nerd , you are. second off i'm just using the telekinetic ability to talk to you. so now stop giving me that look.

you gonna tell me why you were at the lake?

nope. all i can say is operation child endangerment.

ugh don't remind me of that. whatever. these police officers will get you to answer.

yeah right.

"...And Nancy, was she with you during this night swim?" Mrs. Wheeler inquires, catching Cassidy off guard. Tuning back into the conversation, Cassidy furrows her eyebrows in confusion. "No," Max responds. "Yes," adds Dustin, exchanging a look with Max. Cassidy huffs, and Powell gives her a questioning look. "Have something to say, Miss Sinclair?" Powell asks, but Cassidy glares in response, remaining silent. Theodore interjects, "We're not sure if Nancy was there."

"She was there. Then she left. It's all a little confusing."

"That's when you guys barged in," Theodore nodded, mustering a fake smile. "Right at that moment, they dared me to spill the beans," Max explained, glancing at Theodore and Lucas, who exchanged knowing looks. "Oh, yeah," Lucas laughed, recalling the amusing situation.

"Excuse me, sir," Officer Callahan nodded toward Theodore, who responded with a nonchalant hum. "Aren't you Hopper's adoptive kid—now Joyce Byers' adoptive kid? Aren't you supposed to be in California— Wait, with this one here too—Cassidy Sinclair?" Callahan's inquiry caught Theodore and Cassidy off guard, their eyes widening.

"Joyce let me visit, dumbass," Theodore retorted with a smirk. "And she told Cass to come back as well. A little family emergency with Jane. They didn't want me there, it's all good though. Mike's with her, making sure she's good and all," he explained, leaving Officer Callahan momentarily taken aback. Cassidy bit her lip, trying to stifle a laugh at the unexpected turn of events.

"Well, you guys are lucky you didn't get shot."

"Have you had any contact with Eddie?"

"That physco.. freak killer? God, no."

"Nope. Absolutely not."

"No. We havent heard from him." Theodore smiles. "We barely know the guy."

"Oh, that's a bunch of bull," Erica declared, stepping forward with her arms crossed. The Sinclair parents scolded her, but she continued, "I mean, you realize they're lying! And Cassidy hasn't even said a word since they all got here! The whole couch is on fire!"