Chapter 4

Years passed by and I turned 14. I started forgetting about the book and the whole plot being in my little bubble but soon I got dragged back into it. The female lead was the same age as me and she would be taken back to the other Duke's house at 14 years old. In fact a few months after my birthday, people started talking about the Duke having found his long lost daughter. This made me roll my eyes. The Duke of the north didn't care about his daughter at all. He always wanted a son and decided to abandon his first born child on the streets. I was kind of anxious about Astéria and hoped she would be fine at the mansion. Of course I knew she wouldn't because in the book even after taking her back because he couldn't get another child, the Duke still neglected her and worked her to exhaustion. I spent hours in my bed thinking about what I could do and if I had to do something but I had no idea what.

Orange felt that something was wrong but when she asked me I said everything was fine. What could I tell her? That I knew someone was being neglected and wanted to help her? I had no proof of anything. I was so caught up on this that I didn't realize immediately but Orange didn't spend as much time with me as usual. We would still spend every second together but sometimes she would disappear for a few hours and I didn't know where she disappeared off to. I did ask her and she told me she was just studying. Something seemed weird but I decided to believe her. Why would she lie to me? And even if she did lie, Orange didn't have to be with me all the time. Everyone liked a bit of alone time sometimes.

Two years later it was finally time for me to meet her. I didn't like celebrating my birthday and I did manage to put off balls and all kinds of gatherings for years but having turned 16 years old, my parents didn't let me anymore. I could however bargain with them and instead of holding my own debutante I would only have to participate in one ball and of course the ball they wanted me to go to was Astéria's. They were very insistent about it and it was understandable Astéria being the other princess of the country. I couldn't refuse and the whole mansion started talking only about my debutante. My parents called every tailor in town and bought me hundreds of dresses that I had to try on one after the other. I liked dresses but having to try on hundreds of these was exhausting. Moreover, dresses weren't the easiest thing to put on back then.

"I really don't think I need to try on everything. I'll just try on my favorite ones."

Prissy started shaking her head vigorously:

"We can't have that. What if the perfect dress doesn't look as good but on you looks dazzling?

-I am sure that won't be the case. Right Orange?"

Orange was always my strongest ally. Whenever I wanted to do something I just had to look at her and she would support me unconditionally. Of course I was sure it would be the same this time around but for some reason she shook her head:

"Prissy is right. You are so beautiful that even the worst dresses could look incredible on your person."

I thought my chin would fall off. Did she just betray me? I tried once more thinking it was just my imagination. Orange would never go against anything I said.

"But I can't try on so many dresses. That would take way too much time.

-We have time."

I thought I was going to faint. Prissy was just as surprised as me by Orange's sudden betrayal but she just started smiling:

"Perfect. Then we all agree. Let's start with the dresses on the right."

I didn't have anything more to say and just went to the dressing room. Usually I always dressed and prepared alone apart from makeup but after ten dresses I couldn't take it anymore and had to ask for some help and the maids were more than happy to fly to my rescue. Orange, who had been staying silently seated for hours without helping me at all when I was saying that I didn't need to try on every dress suddenly got up and said this was enough. I didn't care why she finally decided to help and only smiled happy to finally be able to escape this: