Chapter 6

As I went home, Orange was waiting for me in front of the door. She came up as soon as she saw the carriage and seeing her I opened wide eyes:

"Why are you still up? Did you wait for me?

-Yes.

-You are so cute. But it is really late. Let's hurry up to sleep.

-I am not tired. Tell me how the ball was?"

I was in a rather good mood and smiled:

"It was amazing."

Orange seemed very happy to hear this and she looked at me waiting for more details:

"You should have seen that ballroom! I am so sad that you didn't come. As soon as I went in I thought I would have a heart attack. I never saw a better looking room before. That should be a museum!"

I went on and on about the place and the buffet for hours and Orange listened to me with a big smile. She helped me undress as I was still talking and even called for some tea for me. Once I said everything that needed to be said about the location, I started talking about the people I met there:

"People were rather nice and I had a really good time talking to them. Who would have thought there would be so many people of my age there? I was pleasantly surprised. I would love to see them again."

I talked a bit about the people I spent the night with but Orange seemed restless for some reason. When I stopped she waited a bit as if she was waiting for something but because I didn't say more she asked:

"How was Astéria?"

I was surprised by that question. Orange was never curious about anyone but it seemed all the gossip interested her too. What did I think of Astéria? In the first book Astéria was presented as a shy and nice young woman but now that I was thinking back, she clearly looked like the terrifying Duchess of the north. Especially when she lost her smile. But even when she was smiling she looked imposing and untouchable. Was it because the first book didn't say the whole truth and tricked the reader? I was puzzled.

"She was really polite and welcoming. She seemed to really like me but I am sure I was mistaken.

-I am sure you weren't."

I decided to go with a joke to stop the conversation:

"I know, everyone loves me."

But Orange only stared into my eyes and agreed.

"Yes."

This scene reminded me of the way Astéria would look at me for some reason and I frowned. Seeing me most in thought Orange asked:

"What?"

But I just shook my head and smiled:

"Nothing."

They didn't look alike at all. I went to take a shower and came back to my room to sleep. Orange had her own room but my bed was huge so we started sleeping together over the years. We would talk and tell stories before sleeping and now I was just used to having her by my side. Orange rarely got sick but once she did and despite all my pleas to take care of her and to sleep with her to look after her during the night, she didn't yield and I had to sleep alone. She could be really stubborn at times and that night was the hardest of my life. I couldn't fall asleep at all and stayed up the whole night feeling that something was missing. Orange never let me sleep alone after that and this night wasn't an exception either. My parents did comment on this habit once during dinner and said that a young woman should sleep alone but for some reason they never talked about it again and no one dared criticize us about it ever again. I layed down next to Orange and as soon as my head touched the pillow, I fell asleep.