The Choices We Make

QUICK A/N: I don't like the options on Wattpad to format parts. I couldn't format text messages clean enough, so I made them a bit fancy with pictures like you're actually looking at a phone screen. I'm very anal at the formatting of anything I write. I hope they don't bother you and are clear for you to read.

 I hope they don't bother you and are clear for you to read

One Year Ago

Choices.

That's what your life boils down to. A series of choices that will determine your starting point and your final destination.

The moment you open your eyes in the morning, your first aim is to make a choice—do I climb out of bed or do I pull the cover over my head and go back to sleep? By the time you close your eyes at night, choices have filled your entire day.

Good ones.

Bad ones.

Choices that make no sense and choices that you swear just do.

Ones that leave you happy and in love.

Others that scar you or someone else permanently.

Thoughtless choices and a little orange bottle full of antibiotics.

That's what controls my life for the next fourteen fucking days.

The pills lightly click together and rattle against the plastic from the trembling of my hands.

My mind drifts back to the expression the Pharmacy Tech tried so hard to hide. She did her best to keep her interactions professional as she went over the simple instructions for the medication. I would imagine you'd have to be stone cold on the inside not to feel pity for the ones that come in to fill their prescription. While I'm sure the doxycycline is used to treat other stuff, the shame I could feel burning my cheeks probably clued her into the reason I have to take it.

Plus, they are the closest pharmacy to campus. A place that is notorious for stupid choices like cheating on your girlfriend without using a condom and sexually transmitted diseases.

I just never imagined I'd be one of the statistics.

The glass of water sits on the table waiting for me to lift it to my lips and the sight of it taunts me with its reasoning for being there.

Swallowing through my tight throat, I twist the cap off and shake one of the blue capsules into my palm as silent tears roll down my cheeks.

This is what I have reduced my life to because I was a fucking idiot and couldn't see what I was doing wrong. I was a fool that thought I could somehow control being friends with a girl I found attractive. When I was late meeting Charlie that first time I met Rianna, I should have known then to walk away. I recall telling her a couple of times that I needed to go meet up with my girlfriend, but then she'd start talking again and I stupidly let her pull me into her web.