The Nina Project

Cal's eyes shot open, a heavy gasp escaping his lips, as he sat up on the couch. His breaths were heavy as he looked around his surroundings, noticing he was back in the Wheelers basement.

The boylet out a sigh of relief, his body visibly relaxing, as he was about to close his eyes, wanting to go back to sleep, before he noticed a certain red head missing.

Cal's eyes widened, turning towards the curly haired boy, who was calmly snoring away, before letting out a groan, "Last time I trust you Henderson." He mumbled slightly annoyed.

He quickly got up from the couch as he made his way over to the stairs, making sure to not wake anyone, deciding that he should check if Max is still in the Wheeler house before freaking out.

The young Harrington silently made his way up the stairs, opening the basement door, and made his way towards the kitchen, noticing the room being filled with the golden light from the rising sun.

Cal could see the Wheeler parents in the kitchen, though not focusing on them, as he heard the sound of someone drawing. He turned his head towards the sound as he saw Max and Holly sitting down at the table while Max drew on some paper with crayons.

A relieved sigh escaped Cal's lips as he walked over to the girl. He wrapped his arms around her, Max tensing a little before relaxing

"Morning Red," Cal softly whispered, his voice husky from waking up, causing shivers to go down Max's spine as he placed his head on her right shoulder.

"Morning Blue." Max whispered back, turning her head to Cal and planting a quick kiss on his lips, before continuing with what she was drawing.

Cal looked at the table to see papers with different areas of what they encountered with Vecna.

"Nice drawing, where'd the crayons come from?" Cal asked.

"Holly gave them to me." She answered, "I know it's not the best, but it'll show the others." Max stated

"I can help if you want?" Cal suggested, causing Max to shake her head.

"No, it's fine. You can keep me company though." Max told the boy, earning a smile from him.

"Of course, I would love to." Cal said in a posh accent, grabbing a chair and sitting down next to Max, before grabbing Max's hand, intertwining them, and resting them on her thigh.

The two sat in silence, Max continued to draw as Cal helped with describing what to draw. They continued until Max put the Crayon down, Cal turning to her noticing an apologetic look on her face.

"Hey, what's wrong Red?" Cal said, squeezing her hand in comfort.

Max looked at him before sighing, "I'm sorry."

Cal gave a quizzical look, "Sorry? What could you be sorry for?" The boy asked.

"I... I know that for the past five months or so I've been... difficult." Max began, "And, I just wanted to say sorry. I shouldn't have acted like that." Max apologised, her head looking towards her lap.

"You don't have to apologise Max," Cal said, gently grabbing her chin and lifting it up to face him, "You were grieving, I'm sure there've been other people who've done the same thing, just for different situations of course." Cal explained.

Max gave a small smile before it turned into a frown, "But still..."

"Nope, nuh uh. Not letting you apologise for something you had no control over." Cal said, a small smile on his face, "You were grieving, you did what you thought was best, so don't apologise." Cal told her, a smile making its way to Max's face.