We meet Again

Neji couldn't control himself after reading the last line and started sobbing. The tears that he had held up all these years started coming out. The elder went and sat beside Neji and started to rub his back. He wasn't doing it as the clan's elder but as Neji's grandfather. All these years he maintained a tough stance but deep inside he mourned the death of his son.

"I will go back to my room and rest. I have to meet my team tomorrow." Neji said as he left. He left the letter on the table for Hiashi and the elder to read. Even though the letter was for him, Neji knew that the elder and Hiashi must be curious. Hiashi nodded as he knew Neji had gone through a lot and now all the truth being dumped on him will also have its effects. Hiashi and his father noticed that Neji's tone just now wasn't cold and stoic like always. Now his tone contained a feeling of familiarity.

The elder picked up the letter and sat with Hiashi to read it. After a few seconds, the elder chuckled as he said "Even without knowing I would have told you that Hizashi wrote this. Among the two of you, he was the soft one but he always saw that softness of his as a boon rather than something that would make him weak."

"Father I still think you must rethink whether or not to make Neji the Patriarch...Hinata isn't suitable for it and Hanabi is strong but she is nowhere near Neji in terms of talent." Hiashi said.

The elder waved his hand and said in a stern tone. "I cannot do that Hiashi. We can't change the rules passed down by our ancestors per our convenience. Even Hizashi knows this or else why would he have his son keep living in the branch clan? We do not do this just as the pride of being a firstborn but because if this system isn't followed then there is a chance that our kekkai Genkai bloodline may become diluted. Byakugan isn't as dominant as the Sharingan."

Hiashi didn't say anything and continued to sit in the room. Just like this, the entire day ended. Neji had a lot to think so he stayed in his room for the rest of the day. The words of Yami telling him to open his mind kept echoing in Neji's mind. Today after reading the letter, Neji felt like a large amount of weight was taken off his chest.

The next day Sasuke and Yami both went to their respective squads. They knew that their sensei will tell them about the chunin exams and stuff.

____________________________________________________

Team 9 Training ground.

Might Guy looked at his team who he has to agree that is the strongest genin team he has ever seen.

"This time you guys will be participating in the chunin exams." Guy declared. He expected a big hooray but only Lee cheered.

"Yes...now we can fight those genins from the other villages. I might even be able to impress Sakura. Aren't you two guys excited?" Lee asked his two teammates who were standing quietly.

Neji was one who responded to this question.

"We could have become chunins a few months after we graduated but Sensei and Hokage-sama wanted us to emass our strength so that we don't get targetted too early. Now we have the chance to white wash the genins from other villages. So this exam is no big deal for us."

'The coldness in his voice is gone...looks like he faced his demons afterall.' Yami thought as he looked at Neji who didn't have that arrogant demenor anymore.

"These are your forms. Fill them and submit it in the academy. I have to meet Kakashi so I will leave now. We will meet tomorrow for practice." Guy said as he left.

Yami and his teammates also decided to leave the training ground. A few seconds after they left, Yami heard a few voices coming from the street ahead.

'Such loud voice...must be Naruto and Sakura...and isn't that Kankuro's voice if I am not mistaken.' Yami thought.

As he came near the street he saw that Kankuro had held up Konohamaru by the collar and Naruto had fallen down after being tripped by Kankuro's chakra string,

"LET HIM GO." Naruto shouted at Kankuro who had a smirk on his face. Temari was standing behind him observing everything.

Konohamaru was trying his best to loosen Kankuro's grip. "Brat...do you think it is so easy to free yourself from my grip?" Kankuro sneered as he pulled one of his hands back to punch Konohamaru but then a pebble hit his wrist in high speed.

"Argh." Kankuro made a short pain filled sound and dropped Konohamaru on the ground. He looked around as to who threw it but then he noticed that they was a boy his age sitting on the tree beside him. Kankuro glared at the boy while Temari also noticed him and smiled a little.

"Who the hell are you?" Kankuro asked in an irritated voice.

"Is this how you behave in someone else's village?" Sasuke asked in a mocking tone.

"You..." Kankuro said as he was getting ready to unwrap his puppet but then Gaara's voice resounded from a branch behind Sasuke.

"Stop embarrassing us Kankuro..."

Sasuke quickly looked back and saw Gaara hanging upside down from the branch. Yami had told Sasuke about Kazekage's kids he had met during his mission.

'I didn't even know that he was standing there. What's in the gourd on his back?' Sasuke had many questions but he had to keep his cool in front of others so he stayed quiet.

"But Gaara...this brat bumped into me." Kankuro tried to explain but Gaara stopped him

"Stop it now or else I'll..."

"Look whose here..." a voice fell on everybody's ears. The voice came in the direction of Gaara. Gaara looked up and saw Yami standing on the same branch.

Even Sasuke was stunned when he saw that. 'When did Yami appear? And how did me and this Gaara guy both miss him standing on the branch.'

"Yami Uchiha." Gaara said as he looked at Yami and jumped down beside his teammates.

------------------------

To read 10 extra chapters go to my Patreón

https://p@treon.com/lazarus898/

Link in the synopsis as well.

Discord link in synopsis