16 || Fire

Chapter 16: Fire

Horace Mann.

That was the first name that popped up once I made a quick Google search. He was to blame for the predicament that was school. Who doesn't love having over ten hours of lectures just to come back with extra assignments and projects? Thanks but I'll pass.

I groaned, dropping my bag down on the couch as I made my way to Angie who sat at the dinning, casually tapping away on her laptop, an assignment I was sure was two days late.

"Jesus Christ," She sighed. "What would anyone need a brief history on Sophocles? I don't see how that's going to get me a freaking job."

I laughed, sitting right beside her and peeking into the twelve paged document.

"What happened to being brief?" I asked with a smile.

"Trust me honey, "brief" is code for twenty pages at bare minimum." She rolled her eyes, saving the document. "Where's Jess?"

"Oh yeah, She texted me, she's at the gym and I should probably get there right about now... just needed to grab a few things."

And by few things, I meant two packs of Oreos. I made my way to the cabinet, opening it and stuffing two packs into my backpack.

"Have you heard from Ashton?"

I paused for a second, avoiding eye contact with Angie.

"Nope, why?"

"He just got out the hospital, I think you should go see him."

"Would love that but we both know his dad has the tendency off popping up uninvited," I said.

"Maddie, it's been three days, his dad is definitely not keeping a close eye on him anymore."

I knew that, but I still didn't want to see him, not now, I was still trying to get used to the idea of being a couple yet not a couple. I sighed, why was the whole world against Ashton and I? It was like a huge middle finger from Mother Nature.

"I'll see him... I just have to think right now."

Angie narrowed her eyes, finally nodding as she went back to typing.

•••

I'd gotten back to the apartment by seven, Jessica had mentioned she'd be back a little late so I had no reason waiting up for her, the lights were all off so I knew Angie wasn't around either.

I made my way up the dark stairs, silently cussing out our landlord on his constant refusal to fix the elevator. I almost tripped over a step, quickly regaining my balance.

I sighed, drawing in a breath.

Then I heard it.

The sound of heavy breathings right behind me... I turned to see who it was but I couldn't make out a figure.

Okay, bye. I wasn't about to ask if someone was there and get my head butchered. I rushed up the stairs, fumbling for the key to my apartment as I did. I quickly slipped the key in, adrenaline racing through my veins as I turned the lock. It opened...

Then immediately closed shut by a strong hand behind me. This was it, I was dead, probably about to become a campus murder case.

"Please, take anything, I have leftover Oreos in my bag."

"Shh!" his finger pressed against my lips as I turned. I was trapped between the door and his large frame. "Maddie, it's me."

I blinked. "Ashton?"