Chapter 28

Tears violently streamed out of my eyes. My maids didn't know what to do with me.

"Lady Emily, I think you're overreacting . The King didn't yell at you... he just said to turn off the cameras," Chelsea tried to comfort me.

They didn't know I was being eliminated. I wanted to tell them, but with the sobs coming out of my mouth, I don't think I could squeak it out.

I was laying on the bed, curled up in a ball. I lay in a puddle of tears and my maids stood by my sides trying to figure something out.

"Lady Emily, let us at least get you out of this dress and into bed. You need to sleep," Karen rubbed my arm.

Somehow I managed to get up. I stumbled a lot and almost fell over on my walk to the vanity. My vision was blurred by tears.

I tried to get a glimpse of myself in the mirror. I am so ugly when I cry. Why am I don't this? Stop crying.

When the tears died down and it was only a hiccuping sob, I could feel the pressure pounding in my head.

"Med-Medicine. H-Headache," I managed to croak.

Karen got what I was saying and ran over to get some pills. In the meantime, Chelsea and Tes tried to squeeze me out of my dress.

"Here you go, Lady Emily," Karen handed me some pills, "I'll get you some water."

I held the pills in my hands until I was in my nightgown. My maids didn't bother to wash off my makeup if I was still bawling while they did it.

By the time I could lay back down in my bed, the tears stopped and only my tear stained face and pounding head was what was left.

"Please take them," Karen said as she handed me some water.

I looked down at the pills in my hand. There were three, but one of them was a different color from the other two.

"What is this?" I asked Karen and lifted up the purple pill that didn't fit in with the rest.

"Medicine. Take it... you need it," she responded

"But what is it?" I looked around thinking that maybe Chelsea or Tes knew.

"An antidepressant," Chelsea said looking down.

"We don't think you have a serious case of depression, Lady Emily. We've just found that you have come back to your room a few times with tears down your face. This will just reduce your stress. Please take it," Karen added.

I cooperated and took the pill. It reminded me of when I was in school and my mother forced me to take pills like this.

"Please, Lady Emily, get your rest," Tes said.

I was a little surprised she had something to say to me, but I only nodded.

Before they could leave, Someone knocked at the door and walked in.

Ryan.

"Your majesty," my maids curtsied.

"Ladies," he smiled at them, "Emily," he said sternly as he faced me.

My face was drenched in running makeup and dried tears. How could he stand to look at me?

"I'm so sorry," I whispered.

"I'm disappointed in you. I thought you knew when enough is enough, but obviously you didn't."

"Ryan, why do you care? My presentation had nothing to do with you."

"Because I'm worried about you. I care about you and I love you. I don't want the rebels to attack you. I don't want to see you hurt," he said as he sat on the edge of the bed.

Whenever he says he loves me, I lose all my thoughts.

"Oh, Ryan," I wrapped my arms around his neck and hugged him.

I could feel his hands set on my back.

"I'll miss you so much, Ryan," I whispered as I hugged him, "this is unbearable."

"What? What are you talking about?" He pulled away from me.

"I being sent home tomorrow afternoon," I looked down.

I would've been crying at this point, but I was out of tears.

Ryan laughed. I was confused.

"What?" He chuckled, "who told you that?"

"An official," I said, still confused.

"Emily, only I can eliminate you. Those officials work under my rules and you are not being sent home," he looked serious again.

"I'm not?" I smiled.

"Of course not. You're staying here until the end," he embraced me into a hug again.

"Um, we are going to go..."

"Goodnight, Lady Emily."

"Your majesty," my maids said awkwardly and waved.

I laughed and threw my head into my hands.

He laughed a little too and kept staring at me.

"Aren't they great," I smiled at him.

"They are," he smiled in return.

"They made me take an antidepressant," I looked away, "I'm a mess," I laughed.

"Emily..." He looked worried.

"Don't worry about it. They just said I need to reduce some stress."

He didn't say anything so I added, "Crazy, right?"

"Well the antidepressant seems to be working, right? I mean you're no longer crying or sad," he placed his hand on my knee.

I looked around. He was right, I wasn't sad anymore. But maybe that's just because he was here to comfort me.

"I love you, Emily. Goodnight," he said standing up.

I smiled at him, "Goodnight... I love you too."

• • •

He was right. They were all right. I shouldn't of done such a stupid presentation.

I was sitting by my vanity writing a letter to my family to apologize for any embarrassment they may have now for claiming me. I stopped suddenly from a wailing noise that was coming down every hallway.

"Now! Now!" voices we screaming.

Yes.

I caused the rebels to come.

And it wasn't just a light passing attack that would only last a few minutes. These were the southern rebels. The ones I dreaded most.

Last night was comforting to be with Ryan and to know we were both safe, but now... not so much.

The only thing I wanted to know was where he was. Guards were forcing me to get into a safe room with the rest of the selected, but I needed to know where Ryan was.

"Where is he?!" I screamed on the top of my lungs, "Where is he?!"

Gunshots were going off and shouts were coming from all directions.

"Where is he?!"

EXTRA:
Hey guys! I promised you guys an update today so here you go :) I will update again later since this chapter was a cliffhanger and was also pretty boring lol
Anyways, I am so excited for my new cover! abbymcleann and yabookaddiction made me some covers and they were AMAZING!! 😍😍 I will also use one of those covers for the second book in the series :) I am also planning on making a 3rd book called: "Emily Before The Selection" afterwords. Just so you guys know, the second book will have a lot more intense stuff going on. I know this one is pretty slow and boring, but it will pick up soon! Thank you guys so much for the covers and for supporting me on making my book! Love youuuuuuu!