Chapter 8

By the time Cyno and Y/N get home, the sky is already dark. The boy gently places you on the bed before setting down the shopping bags and placing the books on the table.

Cyno goes to the kitchen to grab two glasses of water and return to you sitting on the bed in your human form, rubbing your eyes, and slowly waking up.

"Hey." He says, setting down the water and sitting next to you on the bed.

"What time is it?" You mumble, still not fully awake.

"Almost 11pm, you should go back to sleep." Cyno tells you, taking his cloak off and setting it aside.

"I'm not that tired though." You protest.

"If you don't sleep now you'll be tired tomorrow morning."

"Nooo." You groan.

Too tired to argue with you, Cyno lets out a sigh as he glances at you. "Then... do you want to talk about what happened today then?"

"What do you mean? Nothing happened today." You reply with confusion.

"Are we going to ignore your whole human-phobia thing?"

"Oh..." You say in realization, "I just wasn't feeling well. Nothing to worry about." You deny with a nervous laugh.

"What's with the whole 'people-will-hate-me-if they-find-out-I'm-a-kitsune?'" Cyno pressed.

You try to avoid the topic, "It's really nothing! I was just tired." but Cyno shuts you down with more questions.

"I don't think you were tired, if you were tired you wouldn't have skipped all the way to the market. Why were you so scared today? Did you see someone you dislike?"

"No it's nothing like that-"

"Then what is it?"

It suddenly dawns on you that you don't know the source of the problem either. You couldn't sort out your emotions and you didn't understand why you were so scared of people earlier. Panicking slightly at the confusion you mustered out a small "I don't know.". You're normally fine aren't you? Why is it so hard to breathe now?

"Y/N what's wrong?" Cyno asks in a gentler tone.

"I don't know." You say again, looking down at your feet and using your hair to hide from Cyno's gaze."

"Look at me please." Cyno whispers softly as he use his hand to slowly move your face. When your eyes met, he noticed they were teary and a little red. Is she... about to cry?

"Y/N?" Not being able to hold back your emotions, the tears come falling down one by one until you were full on sobbing. "I don't know, I don't know, I'm sorry."

Fuck.

"Y/N don't cry." Cyno panics, using his hand to wipe your tears. "It's alright, you don't have to tell me anything." He says as he hooks an arm around your waist and pulls your body closer to him, not caring if he's breaking out of his cold demeanour.

Burying your face into his shoulder, your hands cling onto his clothes as you cry uncontrollably in his arms. "I just thought that if they knew I wasn't fully human, they wouldn't want me here anymore." A soft hand slowly started rubbing your back as you talked.

"They would kick me out like they did in Inazuma, and... and... then I'd have to leave you." You say between sobs.

"Inazuma kicked you out?" Cyno asks with concern and worry.

"The other kitsune's didn't want to deal with me because I was too human. The humans didn't talk to me because I was half kitsune." You explained. "I was so lonely..."

At that moment, Cyno felt his heart break a little listening to you. Hugging you tight as he let you sob into his shoulder, not caring about his ruined clothing.

"It's alright now," He comforted, "no one here will kick you out I promise. If they even looked at you wrong I'll make sure they're dead by sunrise."

You only hmm in response as you hugged Cyno even tighter.

Waking up the next morning was interesting. Your eyes were puffy and your throat was dry, you also slept weirdly on your shoulder which made your neck stiff, and your hair was a mess.

You slowly sit up with a groan as you try to rub your eyes awake. Cyno who was in the kitchen, immediately made his way over to check on you. Grabbing your chin with one hand, he removed loose hair on your face and observed your red eyes.

Although he didn't show any emotion, you can tell by his eyes that he's worrying. "I'm alright now." You reassure him, leaning your head into his hand and giving him a small smile.

He looks at you doubtfully before finally deciding to let you go. "Food is almost ready, do you want to eat now or stay in bed for a little longer."

"We can eat now, I don't want the food to get cold." You respond.

Cyno nods before helping you get out of bed. "Oh wow I get special treatment now!" You joke. "Maybe I should cry more in the future."

"Don't ever cry like that again." Cyno quickly shuts you down. "Or I'll drop you right here and make you run 10 laps around the desert."

"Okay okay I was just joking geez."

Silence falls on you two as you both enjoy the breakfast Cyno cooked. He made your favourite food today, even setting the table which is typically your job.

"If you don't want to go to the market with me anymore, you can always stay home." Cyno suggested, breaking the silence.

Swallowing your food, you quickly shake your head, denying his request. "I'd rather face my problems than avoid them. Just you wait I'm going to learn to talk to people in no time, and then I'm going to be the most popular person in Sumeru!" You say in determination.

"If you say so." The boy responds .

Fun facts:

- Cyno doesn't know what to do when Y/N starts crying, he just sits there feeling stupid while his heart yells at him to do something.

- Y/N is so cheerful and sweet, seeing her sad makes Cyno 10x sadder (he'll never tell her that though).