LXXVII - Cancer Trials

"Y/n Conklin. Daughter of John Conklin and Laurel Park. A student at Chesterbrook Highschool where she is captain of the varsity cross country team. Y/n volunteers her time at no-kill animal shelters and soup kitchens." Paige announces.

Jeremiah and I walk towards each other on the stage, I'm the last one called; but the audience's hands must not be tired because they clap loudly.

"You are a goddess." Jeremiah whispers to me.

"Say that again and I'll throw up on you." I whisper back.

He laughs quietly.

"Y/n raised $8,000 for those in foster systems." Paige adds as we walk down the steps.

We walk over to the table with family. I hand my bouquet to Mom and get back into step with Jeremiah.

"How was the curtsy?" I ask.

"The Queen would be proud." He laughs.

I notice Mom quickly walk off.

"Where is she going?" I ask Jere.

"Not sure..." He responds.

Dad gets up after her.

***

The boys go up and started a choreographed dance.

Jeremiah and Steven are in front.

I get the best of both worlds. Getting to see my brother embarrass himself, and getting to see my boy handsome as ever.

The whole crowd, including myself, are whooping.

I will say, I'm traumatized when Steven starts grinding front and center.

I noticed that Mom came back which takes my attention away from the end of the dance.

"There you are." I smile and grab on to her hand, "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine, Honey." She smiles.

I nod and look back, Jeremiah's not on the floor anymore.

I scan the room.

No, no, nope, nada, no, EW. Steven and Shayla making out in the corner is not what I was looking for.

I walk up to a few of the other deb girls, "Have any of you seen Jeremiah?" I ask.

"No,"

"I don't think so."

"I think I saw him go outside." Gigi says.

Of course Gigi would know.

I speed to the back patio but he isn't there, the courtyard, isn't there, even the side yard is scarce of him.

I walk further down the street until I see him. He's sitting by the club's pool.

"Jere?" I walk over.

He doesn't turn.

He's crying. No. He's sobbing.

I sit next to him, the phone in his hand turns my direction slightly.

CANCER TREATMENT - SUSANNAH FISHER
Re: Upcoming Cancer Trials
Hi Susannah-
I wanted ti reach out and let you know that we are still accepting applications for patient enrollment in our upcoming cancer treatment trial.

I don't have to read another word before my heart shatters.

"Jere.." I whisper, a silent tear comes from my eye.

I pull his head into my chest and just hold him there. He cries harder, shaking my body with every heave.

I kiss the top of his head and just hold my lips there for a while.

His shaky hand takes mine a holds it tightly for support.