Chapter One

So I sneak out to the garden to see you,
we keep quiet cause we're dead if they knew. So close your eyes...

THIS BOOK IS NOT EDITED, THERE WILL BE A FEW CONFUSIONS BUT I WILL EDIT IT SOON!!!!!!!!!!

Song for Chapter: LOVE STORY BY SARAH COTHRAN

WRITE YOUR FIRST TIME READING HERE
⪮⪮⪮

NOVA JOHNSON

My mother was warned by every neighbour in the street to never go on their land, nor knock on their house.

My mother would hate it when the ball accidentally rolled over to our neighbours lawn, she would scold me for the rest of the day and would leave the ball there until it would deflate and turn useless.

I used to watch it in the same exact spot for the last ten years, the neighbour would never kick it over or hand it back and my mother fears to go over and ask for it back or ask to retrieve it.

My mother then warned me.

She drilled my window closed, taped it with dark tape and made sure to never see through it. Mostly because the window of the silent neighbour was directly opposite to mine, growing up with the same darkness in my room was not a nice thing. I only ever enjoyed sunlight out in my garden or my lawn. I never had the chance to see the moon through my window, I never had the chance to be a rebel teen and sneak out because of the screws.

All because of that neighbour.

She made sure I would never see the neighbour that lived there.

Everyone in the neighbourhood wanted them kicked out for no reason, they were never seen, never heard of and they never open their door. They never left their home. It was almost as if...no one lived inside that house?

But-only I saw the little boy who lived there. And only I know about it because my mother would trap me in my room for even making eye contact with them.

I remember playing in my garden, I was chasing butterflies and trying to grasp one in the butterfly catcher I had. Once I was tired, I settled down onto the top of the red slide, and my eyes got the better off me and looked up.

I looked up into one of the windows of the next-door neighbour and a pair of blue ones shot right back at me.

The most assertive eyes peered through the window, expelling the last of the night's sleepiness from our minds.

They were the colour of a clear blue sky seen through a broken prison wall, a perfect raindrop on a blue aster, and a river rushing to join the great ocean.

He looks only a few years older than me, and he looked so-sad? So alone? I could see it in his eyes, I remember his hair being dark and his skin fair. He was short and he looked around eleven, I gave him a little wave. A wave he gave back. A wave he smiled whilst doing so, and then...I see a hand wrap around his wrist and drag him back into the darkness.

Three years later, I never saw the little boy again.

Three years later, I am mourning my mother death.

She was murdered during a home break in whilst I was at a sleepover, and the police closed of the investigation as that. I was chucked into a care home for the rest of my teenage years.

I never once went back into that home and now, I am leaving the foster care.

I am finally leaving to go to college in Seattle, moving away from New York and all the bad memories.