Chapter 5: Cooped Up

{ Martie's POV }

19 YEARS LATER

"I'm about to pull up
Hit switch, pull curtain (hit switch, pull curtain)
And I've been waitin' so long
Now I gotta resurface (I gotta resurface)
And yeah, we 'bout to toast up
All that bread that we burnin' (burnin', burnin', burnin')
'Cause I've been feelin' cooped up (yeah)"

"I'm about to pull upHit switch, pull curtain (hit switch, pull curtain)And I've been waitin' so longNow I gotta resurface (I gotta resurface)And yeah, we 'bout to toast upAll that bread that we burnin' (burnin', burnin', burnin')'Cause I've been ...

I drove my new birthday gift to myself, a shiny black BMW, through the city with my top down. I felt so free just cruising without a worry or care.

My phone rang and I pressed the ACCEPT button as I kept driving.

"Hello?"

"Bitch! What are you doing? I have to tell you something, girl." My best friend, Paula, yelled as soon as I spoke.

She always had a mouth like a freaking boom box with her loud ass and I really loved that she always spoke her mind no matter what.

"I'm actually driving right now. Went to pick up the black BMW we had seen the other day," I finally told her as I turned off the freeway onto the service road.

I needed some gas.

"Girl! Why you didn't take me? I want to do the dash like Stacey, too! But I wanted to know if you were down for another race tonight?", Paula asked knowing full well I would love to do another race plus I needed the cash.

Especially since I wanted to help out my mother and send my sister off to school when she graduated in two years.

"I'm a little out of our neighborhood and I can't say when I'll be back."

"You must got a boo?"

I rolled my eyes and pulled up to the pump quickly. She knew damn well I wasn't able to get close to nobody with my mom's lurking eyes and even if I did, it wouldn't be a secret from her. I would tell her any and everything. She was the only friend I could make in all the years I've been on the run. All the other girls hated me because of my long hair and ample fully grown body parts.

They thought I thought I was better than them.

"I found a picture in my mom's stuff when I was looking for pictures to take to the hospital," I admitted. "On the back, it said Charming, CA 1990. My mom was smiling and hugging up on some man, Paul."

"Your mom? A man? Girl, Hell must have frozen over."

We both giggled at that but I felt like my mom had to have had a wild childhood especially since I found her stripper floss back when I was younger and then the fact that she wasn't married when she met my dad and had me.

"You're forgetting about the fact that I'm alive."

She stopped laughing as I turned the car off and went inside the store to ask for some gas.