Chapter 29

***Loki***

I sit in the library, thinking. It has been two months since Skuggad's defeat, and Claire and I were as happy as could be. Playing with the small box in my hand, I snap it open and shut. Would she like it? Or will she hate it? What if she doesn't like it? But what if she does? Growling in frustration, I shove the box in my pocket, only to pull it out again and study it.

"It is difficult is it not?" I hear Odin's voice say, and I spin around.

"All-father." I say awkwardly, honestly not knowing how to react. Thanks to Claire's many lectures about forgiveness I no longer held the burning hate and resentment I once did against him. But I wasn't ready to consider him my father, the wound created by his betrayal had left deep scars.

"May I sit with you?" Odin seemed calm, and I just nodded.

"Of course." He sat down and I looked back at the box in my hand. Snapping the lip open, I stare at what is inside.

"May I see?" Odin asks and I shrug, handing him the box. He looks at it and smiles, while I sit there nervous like a young schoolboy.

"You have chosen well, I think that she will love it." He says, handing me the box.

"Are you sure? I don't know, part of me thinks she will love it and the other part of me thinks she will hate it. I don't know if I should even be doing this." I groan, shoving the box in my pocket. Standing, I start pacing in front of the fire.

"What if she hates it? What if she gets scared? What if she doesn't love me anymore because of what I have caused her to go through? What if she wants to return to earth? What if-" I ramble, stopping abruptly when I hear Odin chuckle.

"I am glad you find my suffering amusing." I say dryly, looking at Odin who has a twinkle in his eye.

"I do not laugh at your suffering, I laugh because you remind me of myself in the same situation. I had exactly the same worries, and I said almost the exact same words." I raise an eyebrow at him in curiosity, and he continues.

"I was in the same position you are now. Completely worried, frustrated, and confused. And I was scared to death. By Valhalla, I was more scared then than I have ever been in my life. Your mother was a beautiful young maiden, and I was so worried she would reject me and laugh in my face." He smiles, and I listen.

"So how did you get the courage? My palms sweat at the very thought of it." I say, and he laughs.

"My father took one look at me, raised an eyebrow, and slapped me in the head. He then proceeded to scold me about how foolish I was being, and that I should just man up and ask her. He told me it was obvious that Frigga loved no other than myself, and I would be a fool to miss out on this chance because of my cowardice." I laugh to myself at the thought of Odin being chastised by his father, and I shake my head.

"And do you intend to do the same to me?" I say, and he just looks at me thoughtfully.

"I am not your father, we both know that I never will be. We have too much bad blood between ourselves for that, and I will not pretend to be something which can never be." He stands and I nod at his words, understanding his opinion and appreciating that he realized what is between us cannot ever be completely fixed.

"But I will say this. Claire is an amazing young Midgardian, who has been gifted with supernatural powers. She loves you with all her heart, one can see it every time she looks at you. She has forgiven you of your faults and your past, and that is how you know she is worth keeping. If you do not go through with this, you will not only be the biggest idiot I have ever know, but you will break her heart and your own. Do not make my mistake and break something that can never be fixed, whether it be out of cowardice or pride." He walks out the door and I stare into the fire in concentration. Standing up, I square my shoulders and head out the door.