Together We Stand: Lessons of the Past

The beginning of a new story. A few setups: this is set a few years in the future. Gopal is 24; Ori trio, Yaya & Fang are 23; Ying is 22; Blaze & Ice are 21; Solar & Duri are 19. Occupation(s):

Gopal: restaurant owner

Yaya: teacher

Ying: freelancer

Fang, Halilintar: TAPOPS captains

Taufan: TAPOPS scout

Gempa, Ice: Kokotiam owners

Blaze: TAPOPS lance corporal

Duri: student, TAPOPS botanist, TAPOPS medic

Solar: student, TAPOPS inventor

The TAPOPS workers, with the exception of Solar, usually stay at the space station so they're more easily reachable in case of emergencies (the others keep an eye on Earth, which is thankfully quite peaceful). However, since everyone still possesses their powers, TAPOPS can call any of them in when needed.

Being both a medic and a botanist, Duri has to travel a lot and thus takes online classes. Meanwhile, Solar is enrolled in more courses and has a heavier workload, so he stays on campus (a train ride away from Pulau Rintis).

Tok Aba... well, he... I mean, it's been a long time.

***

"Bye! Thanks for stopping by the Kokotiam today!" Gempa saw off the last customer of the day, while his partner and younger brother Ice pulled off his apron and dropped tiredly onto one of the stools. It had been a busy day, and another event was still scheduled to take place later that evening.

By 'later', he meant in a few minutes.

There was the low rumble of an engine, and moments later the owner of Pulau Rintis' best restaurant came riding down the path on a black motorbike. He parked it in the spot reserved just for him, pulled off the matching black helmet, and took a seat at the stall.

"One Special Hot Chocolate please, Gempa!" Gopal ordered as soon as his rear touched the stool.

Gempa rolled his eyes fondly and got to work, "Are you going to pay this time, or should I add it to your eternal debt?"

Gopal made an offended noise, "Dey! It's not my fault I keep forgetting my wallet!"

But nonetheless, he handed Ice the correct amount of money.

"Right, so whose fault is it then?" A feminine voice butted in, making Gopal scream and jump violently.

"Ying, Yaya, nice to see you guys again." Gempa greeted the two girls, who appeared to have travelled together. (He also suspected Ying had used her power to sneak up on Gopal.)

Yaya returned with a "Likewise!", while Ying continued to cheerfully bully Gopal. All three of them were soon served their favourite drinks by Gempa and Ice.

"So, when are the others getting here?" Yaya asked over her cup.

"Solar's train came in a while ago, so he should be here soon," Gempa glanced at the clock, "Ochobot's teleporting the others over in a few minutes."

And no sooner had he finished his sentence than a figure dressed in white and yellow appeared, walking down the path to the Kokotiam. Solar dropped his bag on the grass, exchanged short greetings with the others, and pulled out a book to read while they waited for the rest to arrive. He declined the offer for a drink (he'd always preferred coffee).

Soon, a few sparks appeared in the air next to the Kokotiam. They then expanded into a swirling blue portal, from which Ochobot emerged and instantly threw himself into Ice's arms by way of greeting.