ғᴏʀᴛʏ-ᴏɴᴇ | ᴛʜᴇ ɢᴜᴛ-ᴍᴏɴsᴛᴇʀ

This time, it was Julie herself who drove the group to the hospital. She didn't trust Nancy's driving one bit, and wanted the ride to be smooth because children were in the car. It took some negotiating, but Julie prevailed.

      Nancy led the group through the waiting room to see Mrs. Driscoll, but they were stopped by a female receptionist who was on the phone.

      "Whoa, whoa, whoa! Excuse me!" The woman stood up, causing the group to inwardly groan at being caught. "Where do you think you're going?"

      Nancy turned to the receptionist. "Oh, um... I was just going to visit my grandma again. And-- And this... this is my family." She said. The receptionist placed her hand on her hip and narrowed her eyes at Lucas.

      "Extended." He said, making Julie bit the inside of her cheek harshly to keep from laughing out loud.

      "I don't care who they are. You know the rules. Two vistors at a time." The woman reminded Nancy, who knew the rules all too well.

      "Yeah, but--" Nancy tried, but her efforts were in vain.

      "Two!" The receptionist interjected, sitting back down and going back to her conversation.

      The group looked around at each other, trying to decide who to go. Julie glanced at the distracted receptionist and shrugged her shoulders. "We could make a run for it?" She suggested.

      "We're not going to 'make a run for it'." Nancy said, rolling her eyes. "It's simple. Jonathan and I will go. Stay here." The Wheeler girl briskly turned and walked towards the elevators, tugging along Jonathan who sent an apologetic look Julie's way.

      Julie scoffed loudly. "Going to screw is more like it." She muttered under her breath, smiling softly when Lucas snickered.

      Julie and the kids made themselves comfortable in the waiting room. Mike and Lucas occupied themselves with the vending machine, El and Max flipped through magazines, and Julie was seated next to Will. The two hadn't been talking, but Julie could tell that Will had something to say to her. His distracted gaze towards Mike and bouncing knee were dead giveaways. Julie had learned all of Will's quirks in the time she had lived with him. She was thankful that she had payed attention.

      "Bud?" Julie said, lightly tapping Will's leg. Will looked up at Julie, plastering on a neutral face, but Julie saw right through his facade. "Wanna tell me what's up?"

      Will sighed lightly, and looked at his feet, instead of at Julie. "It's kind of hard to explain it." The boy admitted.

      Julie thought on his response while Lucas hurtled a package of Skittles at her, and Reese's Pieces at Will. They began to snack on their candies, while Will thought.

      "You know how when you all were fighting the Demogorgan for the first time, it was always Nancy and Jonathan together, and then just you?" Will asked. It was an odd thing to bring up, but Julie vaguely remembered those days, and how annoying they were.

      "Yeah." Julie nodded. So did Will.

      "Okay, good. This summer... it's been like that. Mostly with El and Mike. Lucas and Max at least include me in everything. And... and I thought that once Dustin got back, that it would all be fine, and that he would be my buddy. But I was wrong." Will explained, and Julie felt her heart ache for the sweet boy who was neglected by his best friend. "Dustin got a girlfriend too, and now he's gone AWOL, and I'm all alone again." Will finished with shakey breath.

      Julie sighed. She didn't bother commenting on the fact that Dustin Henderson had a girlfriend. "Your friends love you, Will. Even if you never have a girlfriend, or if you date a special person one day, they'll still love you. I'll still love you. So will your mom, and Jonathan. I'm sorry that you've felt this way all summer, bud. I'm here for you, even if I'm not here." Julie spewed out, her hand finding Will's. Julie saw Will nod his head rapidly, and the gloss of his eyes indicated that he had on-coming tears.